Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Chain adjustment on a banshee HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain adjustment on a banshee HELP!

OK a couple of days ago i lost one of the adjustment screws and my chain was really lose, so i bought another screw and nut and put in back on, but then when i losed the bolts that are horizontal and played with the adjusters my chain is now really tight and i cant seem to losen it. I looked throu a manual and have tryed everything but it wont losen with out pushing the wheels forward and tightening all the bolts, is this the right method or ??????? and has anyone else had this problem. Im going nuts trying to figure this out and at the moment the shaft drive F vorce is looking really good. Jk
Any help is apperciated.

Old 05-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Banshees can be a bit of pain to get everything lined back up. I found that over time the screw on the snail adjuster would dig into the back of swingarm causing a groove. This groove made using the stock lines on the adjusters worthless.

My remedy was to purchase a round housing swing arm from lonestar....

To answer your question....you need to loosen the top and bottom bolts on the bearing carrier before using the chain adjustment screws....and yes, the only way to get the chain to loosen is to push the whole rear end forward. Then use the adjusters to get it back out and in line.

Old 05-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

FMF, How do you tighten your chain on a round house swing arm?

Old 05-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

the round housing swing arm has adjustment like a 400ex or 250r if you ever saw them. Loosen the two pinch bolts on the rear of the swingarm and use a provided steel rod to turn the bearing carrier...takes like 5 minutes max and allows the axel to move all at once ...equally. Instead of the snail type adjusters that make you line the axel back up strait with the right and left side.

Not the best explaination...but I hope you get the point.
I think you can see the round housing on my pics page.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: sAyIt_fmf
Banshees can be a bit of pain to get everything lined back up. I found that over time the screw on the snail adjuster would dig into the back of swingarm causing a groove. This groove made using the stock lines on the adjusters worthless.

My remedy was to purchase a round housing swing arm from lonestar....

To answer your question....you need to loosen the top and bottom bolts on the bearing carrier before using the chain adjustment screws....and yes, the only way to get the chain to loosen is to push the whole rear end forward. Then use the adjusters to get it back out and in line.
Thanks all try again to push the tires forward. And are the adjustment screws only good to tighten the chain.

Thanks again

Old 05-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider

The adjustment screws are just that for adjustment. You loosen the the upper and lower long bolts that go though the top and bottom of the carrier. Use the 2 adjustment screws to set the chain where you want it, and then tighten the 2 big bolts back again. Tighten the nuts on the adjustment screws so they dont come loose.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Range Rover

Thanx

Old 05-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider

i you havent got it yet just tap your tensioners with a hammer that should loosen the chain