Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Front Sand Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Sand Tires

I have a stock 'shee and I'm going to SL in a couple weeks and I am planning on getting a pair of front tires for sand to go with my 20-10-10 9 paddle haulers. I dont know which model is the best though, GBC dunetracker, GBC shark fin, skat-trak smooth buff, skat-trak mohawk or something else. I would like to stay with skat-trak so I'm not running GBC up front and skat-trak in the back. I just want the improved handling and planing ability of sand tires, I believe the smooth buff tires are mainly for drags because they dont have the ridge in the middle to help with turning, so I probably wouldnt want those. Whenever I see somebody with GBC dunetrackers they always bend out to the side when they're riding on pavement on the way out to the dunes so I dont know if they wear quickly and I would need new ones every year or so. Also, I dont know whether I should get 21-7-10's or 21-8-10's or whatever other sizes are available.

Btw, I was trying to check some of the sizing options out myself on RMatv.com, but there is a server error and I was wondering if this is just for a little while or if they've been having this same error for a while.

Also, I would like to find out soon because I'm going riding soon and I would like to order them as soon as possible to make sure they get here in time.

Thanks.

Old 06-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

Between me and my riding crew we all pretty much have all of those tires.......We all agree, not much difference between any of them, I personally have the dunetrackers and love them! Why does it matter if your running GBC up front and skat-trak in the rear? I've had my dunetrackers for almost a year....do a lot of riding, and no major wear....they should last a long time pending holes, punctures etc..

Old 06-11-2004, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

I dont know exactly why I want to stay with the same brand, i just think it looks kinda weird sometimes if you see somebody has 2 different brands on, and because I was very pleased with my haulers so skat-trak has earned it for me to come back and buy more of their products. Basically all I want to know is whether the mohawks are better handling than the smooth buffs, because i want the planing ability of the smooth buffs but I need good handling, my stockers always slide or dig in when I turn in sand. Also, do you know if the douglas front 21-7-10s have a different offset than stock?

Old 06-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

I run haulers in rear too....but then again I don't what my ride looks like....if you saw my ride you'd know what I mean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

You know, actually smooth buffs is the only tire you listed that nobody I know runs.....so I couldn't give you a comparison w/ that one...sorry.....I would imagine It would depend on the riding your gonna do. I believe a lot of the people w/ the smooth buffs are the drag racers, however if your going to do a lot more than frag, I'd get the mohawks......anything is better than knobby stock tires in the sand though!!

I believe rockymtn will give you options on your offset....call them when ordering they'll tell you for sure.

Old 06-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default Front Sand Tires

Look at ITP Sand Stars. I've had a set for about six months and they're holding up good. 22 X 8 X 10's. There is a huge difference in steering with front sand tires. I was wondering about the single rib ripping if you turned on hard pack too, so I stayed away from them. And yes the dougs off set will add about an inch on each side in over all width.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

Would there be any noticable performance difference between a single rib design on a dunetracker and a mohawk? I think the mohawk would last longer because the dashed line rib wouldnt bend over but i dont know if it would handle differently.

Old 06-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

I have a set of Mohawks and they really grip on your turning. Very happy with them.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

If i did get the dunetrackers (single rib) do you think that when i take it off the trailer will the rubber stay bent to one side because of all the pressure on it during transportation? I will probably get them because i want to get some tires soon and even though the mohawks arent that much more expensive, i want to save as much cash as i can so i can get my toomey pipes later this summer. Also, since they all perform way better than stock and since they cant be too different from one-another performance-wise, ill just save some cash and get the trackers.

Old 06-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

No, the rubber doesn't stay bent at all....I keep the tires on all the time I store my bike....no bend.

Old 06-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Sand Tires

The GBC or whatever brand sharkfins are almost exactly the same as the Skat Trak Mohawk, but the Mohawk is more than twice the price. Do you really want to pay more for the same price? They don't even buff the Mohawk anymore so it is almost the same weight as the Sharkfin.

$26 per tire vs. $53 per tire for the same performance. Why pay more for a name. When you are moving no one will know what brand it is anyway.

Go with either of these. They offer the best compromise of sliding ability vs. turning ability. 21x7x10 is a good size for the average quad at silver lake. If you have a really heavy quad or are very heavy yourself, or are going to be riding somewhere with very fine powdery sand you may want the extra flotation of a 22x8x10, but it is not necessary at SL. On a personal note, I run Skat Trak rears with GBC Sharkfin fronts. No one has picked on my Raptor yet for having mismatched shoes.

BTW I am going to be at SL all of next week on vacation. June 18th thru the 23rd or 26th. Look me up if you are there at that time. Later,

RR1

Quick Reply: Front Sand Tires