Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Problem, Possible TORS Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banshee Problem, Possible TORS Issue?

About two weeks ago I went riding all day and had a blast Banshee ran great. I pressue washed it that evening then took it home parked it in the garage. About a week ago I decided to take it for a spin. It started fine and ran fine until I went about 1/4 mile then it started backfiring and just quit. I tried to start it several times and it wouldn't do anything. I was on top of a hill so I decided to just roll start it. It finally started at the very bottom of the hill (rolled about 300ft before starting!) it sputtered all the way home. I parked it and figured maybe fouled plugs. Changed the plugs (they where black with oil (I guess from trying to roll start it so long) and it fired right up drove it a few feet and it died again. Restarted it and this time it was different the Shee would idle perfect however if I gave it gas it would hit a rev limiter just like if the parking brake is on. I would let off and it would idle fine again. So I gave up and parked it until today. I brought it back out and it took forever to start (20+ kicks) then it started and did the same rev-limiter thing again.

Started it one more and took off wide open and it finally started running right. It ran fine for about 15 mins then I parked it. I have a big ride planned for tommorow and don't really want to end up stranded.

Does this sound likle maybe I got the TORS system wet with the pressure washer? Or maybe somthing totally different? If it does this again is there a way I can temp disable the TORS?

My Banshee is an 04 Totally stock engine. Running Klotz R50 32:1

Thanks

Old 06-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone?

Old 06-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

My banshee didn't have the tors on it when I got it. They had already been eliminated. I would check the connection at the parking brake. I know if you unplug it at the handle the rev limiter will kick in. It sounds like it is ether making a bad connection or the wires have frayed somwhere. Try unplugging it at the parking brake handle and hook two prongs together with a peice of wire and see if it eliminates your problem. As far as the tors go, you should be able to unplug them. They each have a white connector you can unplug. Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:56 PM
Range Rover

I really don't know alot about banshees except that I'm about to get one but when my dirtbike started acting like that it had sheared a pin on the stator or maybe your stator went bad or something good luck

Old 06-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

tors is a bunch of hippy crap. you don't need it

Old 06-14-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

There is a little black box below the tank above the left side cylinder mounted to the frame. There should be a bundle of 3 wires coming from it going to a triangular white plug. Unplug it and the entire TORS system is unhooked.

But is sounds like water in the fuel.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Snip your electrical wire coming from the parking brake and see if it starts up, I did that after about 5 months of not knowing what the he11 was wrong and it ran just like it did before it happened, PB wires are very faulty.

Old 06-14-2004, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

Check your reeds sounds like a prob had. I bet one is broken or more possibly.

Old 06-14-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

The problem actually seemed to go away guys. I went riding Sunday all day and never had a single problem. I'm thinking one of the electrical connections got water in it and it dried out finally. Not sure though, thanks for the information on TORS I think I will just get a TORS elimination kit and get rid of it.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Banshee Problem, Possible TORS Issue?