Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor 80 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor 80 problems

My Son's raptor 80 fouled out it's first plug after about 2 weeks of riding. I was told this was normal during the break in peroid, due to the fact that it may run a little hotter. Three plugs later...now I can't even get a spark to the plug. This machine is only 6 months old, and I was wondering...has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions as to what it might be? It seems electrical (obviously) as it turns over on demand and ran just a few hours ago, but now it asbolutely refuses to fire. I'm wondering if there is a known problem with a electronic module or coil or something.

Please help a heart broken 35 year old and his 6 year son get back to the trails!! thanks!

Old 07-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am having the same problems with the Raptor 80. I've gone through at least 10 plugs. Now it will not start at all.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've talked to the dealership, and they said they have seen this problem. About half the time it's a coil problem (there are two of them), and the rest of the time it's the ECU module. It's about $175, and the coils are about $20 each. My warranty was out by about 3 days, and I'm trying to strongarm Yamaha into letting me purchase the Extended warranty, even though the factory warranty has expired. I think I'm about to pull it off. The 3 yr warranty is $220. If that is the fix for it, it'll pay for itself on this repair.

How old is your raptor?

Old 07-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought it last spring. It has run fine until lately. I went to the dealership today, they said jetting because we are at 6000'. I tried three different jets tonight, nothing. Thanks for the coil idea, I'll give it a shot. The coil is probably bad, I'm going to have a friend check it out for me. And I thought because it was a four stroke it would be problem free. Oh well.
Thanks,
Pat

Old 07-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

On second thought, I still have spark. Would it have spark if the ECU module was bad?
Pat

Old 07-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TekGeek
My Son's raptor 80 fouled out it's first plug after about 2 weeks of riding. I was told this was normal during the break in peroid, due to the fact that it may run a little hotter. Three plugs later...now I can't even get a spark to the plug. This machine is only 6 months old, and I was wondering...has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions as to what it might be? It seems electrical (obviously) as it turns over on demand and ran just a few hours ago, but now it asbolutely refuses to fire. I'm wondering if there is a known problem with a electronic module or coil or something.

Please help a heart broken 35 year old and his 6 year son get back to the trails!! thanks!
Definetly take it to the dealer and tell him FIX IT if it's under warranty.
Sounds like a coil problem
My Son's 80 has been flawless........

Old 07-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

I have one, and I have found my starting problem to be the valve lash out of adj., about every 8 months or so if you have to start feeding it plugs or push-starting it, adj. the valves and it starts fine again, seems to be a common problem with mine anyways, if the valve lash gets just a little out of specs. it won't start.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

If the ECU was bad, I would think it wouldn't have spark at all... The dealership faxed me the test procedure right of of the technicians manual. If you have access to a fax I can fax it to you, it looks like something out of a Chilton's type test manual...pretty simple to follow. I agree with XR650...i think if you have spark, on an engine this small it wouldn't take but a little bit out of specs at the valves could make it not run right or at all.

Also, spark is there, but it may be weak if one of the coils is going bad, the pages I have even tell what the resistance of the coil should be when you throw an ohm meter across it.

I agree with you on the 4 stroke thing, that's why I bought this one...it was supposed to be less maintenance. I don't know that much about carbs, and jetting and how they are affected by altitude, but it does make sense...did the dealer recomend anything more specific? (ie: any brand or specific jet kit)

Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm going to try the valves next. I just purchased a manual on CD from ebay. The spark looks strong enough to me.(calibrated eye) The bike has been ridden hard by my son and my daughter forgets to shift so I'll bet that the valves are out of adjustment. The bike has a lot of hours on it so I have to say that it has been reliable.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can anyone tell me the valve lash specs? I just bought a "raptor 80 shop manual" on ebay. Its not a shop manual. It politely instructs you to take it to a trained yamaha technician. I am not happy!

Quick Reply: raptor 80 problems