Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Would It Be A Mistake To Sell My Raptor And Buy A YFZ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would It Be A Mistake To Sell My Raptor And Buy A YFZ?

Advertise it and see what happens.

Old 06-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weekend I got the chance to ride a 450 and compare it to the Raptor. The 450 feels a lot lighter and more nimble and the suspension is more harsh, but takes hard hits better. The 450's motor is really impressive in how it accellerates. I can say that if I were going to race again, there would be no question, the 450 would be the choice. But since I'm now in the 40+ category and don't race anymore, the Raptor is a more comfortable ride with a more forgiving motor that you can chug at low rpm or rev out. I think the Raptor is less tiring to fast trail ride. My biggest problem with the 450 is that it makes you WANT to go faster all the time. That's great if your racing your friends or on a track, but if you're riding for fun and need a "jack of all trades quad", then I'd lean toward the Raptor. Lastly, for you guys that need major speed, there's a lot of parts available for the Raptor and you can get over 60 hp out of them without making the motor a grenade. Without a big change in displacement, the 450 is going to max out around 50 hp or maybe a little more - but that's still pretty damn fast.

Yamaha has made two really great quads and I'm happy to say that I own another one after having a Banshee for several years. The good news is that they've made one more for racing and one more for recreation to suit the way YOU ride...

Old 06-25-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: SandmanBlue
Last weekend I got the chance to ride a 450 and compare it to the Raptor. The 450 feels a lot lighter and more nimble and the suspension is more harsh, but takes hard hits better. The 450's motor is really impressive in how it accellerates. I can say that if I were going to race again, there would be no question, the 450 would be the choice. But since I'm now in the 40+ category and don't race anymore, the Raptor is a more comfortable ride with a more forgiving motor that you can chug at low rpm or rev out. I think the Raptor is less tiring to fast trail ride. My biggest problem with the 450 is that it makes you WANT to go faster all the time. That's great if your racing your friends or on a track, but if you're riding for fun and need a "jack of all trades quad", then I'd lean toward the Raptor. Lastly, for you guys that need major speed, there's a lot of parts available for the Raptor and you can get over 60 hp out of them without making the motor a grenade. Without a big change in displacement, the 450 is going to max out around 50 hp or maybe a little more - but that's still pretty damn fast.

Yamaha has made two really great quads and I'm happy to say that I own another one after having a Banshee for several years. The good news is that they've made one more for racing and one more for recreation to suit the way YOU ride...
Very well said...

I couldn't put it better myself... (cept that you'll need to adjust your shocks for a more comfy trail riding Rappy.) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

I maybe doing this in the next year or so, I really like the YFZ and want to rip in the dunes again and am torn between the raptor and the YFZ, i havent ridden my raptor since the last build a whole lot so i am still not knowing what to do but im sure once i get her dialed in iit will put a big smile back on my face...

Old 06-25-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WallStreet
I am thinking about selling my Raptor for a new YFZ. What do you guys think? Hopefully I could get around $6k for my bike, then trade straight across for an '05 red and white one. Would I be disappointed? I will probably never be able to save up the $2000+ for an awesome engine, and the crappy stock rod really concerns me. I do not want the added hassle of piston, cam, porting, rod, etc. I don't know, I'm just wondering. Let me know what you guys think.

St.
I'd say go for it.

Old 06-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

go 4 it!!!!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Ok I'll post this again, pay attention Flynbryn, I Said Selling for 4500, not adverstising. I know personally two people that have sold their 01 Raptors in the 4000 range. Yes I think this is absurd, but around here they are a pretty penny. I don't know why but they are.

Old 06-26-2004, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

yeah the YFZ is a "go fast constantly" quad while the raptor can just be lugged around, putt putted here and there so if you enjoy racing your friends down the trails or track get a YFZ, if you like to just have some fun, fast or slow, stick with the raptor.

Old 06-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I would only trade, if I could put my rappy seat on the yfz!

Old 06-27-2004, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

The YFZ is a track race oriented bike...

I would just keep that in mind...

(_.:**:.-«¿¤Wi©kEd §iN²7¤¿»-.:**:._)

Quick Reply: Would It Be A Mistake To Sell My Raptor And Buy A YFZ?