Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

recharging battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recharging battery?

I'm pretty sure i've heard before that if i went to recharge my battery on concrete then you loose the charge permanently. is this true?

Old 06-30-2004, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

It doesn't matter if you are charging a battery or not, putting it on the ground kills a battery. If you are going to charge it, disconnect it from the bike and charge it while it is in the bike or put it on a table.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Now you have peaked my interest. The bottom of a battery case is plastic, which is an insulator. How does charging the battery on concrete, metal, or your head make a difference. It doesnt.

Old 07-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Battery Myth #2 Storing a battery on a concrete floor will discharge the battery.

There is not currently a strong reason for avoiding contact of a battery with a concrete floor. The battery's contact with the concrete should not create a problem with the material in today' s batteries. If the battery is not clean, but has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery can be expected to self-discharge more rapidly than if it was clean and dry. Many years ago, the batteries were constructed with a wooden case around a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

Good try turtler, but NO! Have you ever heard someone tell you when you had a cell phone, and it wouldn't dial, to every so often turn it off, pull the battery and turn it back on? It's almost the same thing. When you have a battery, no matter what the casing is made of, because the conductor is so close to the ground, it will discharge the battery. It will take a while, but it happens. It causes the plates to act as a magnet and have you ever put two magnets with the same poles together, they work against one another. If you don't think it kills a battery, try it with yours and let me know what happens.

Old 07-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Many years ago when I was in college my electrical professor did a 1 month study on this. A battery supplier gave him 4 identical batteries to do the test with. To make a long story short, they charged up the 4 batteries to the same voltage and then put one on the cement floor. One on a 2x4 on the cement floor. One on a wood bench. I forget what they did with the 4th one.

The outcome? They all lost voltage at the same rate. They even switched the batteries in the test to account for some variances in the batteries. Same deal. I think they did like 4 or 5 tests. Same deal on all tests.

They found out something else:

"If the battery is not clean, but has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery can be expected to self-discharge more rapidly than if it was clean and dry." lovbyts, were you in my class?

^^^^^^^^ This is exactly what they found out. Espescially between the posts. Always good to keep it clean and dry.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

1LessRaptor, you crack me up. Im an engineer and have taken many materials science and electrical engineering classes. Your phone analogy is incorrect and most likely has to do with resetting the circuit within a phone versus any battery drain issue.

You just be extra careful not to put your battery on the floor.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Hey turdler, you sound smart, so what's wrong with the analogy of the phone? Because it is on for so long, and it causes the problem, you think that it is only resetting the circuit. Ask your "PROFESSOR" what really happens when you pull the battery. From it being on for so long, it causes a magnetic field between the traces of wire in the circuit and will have, in elecrical engineering terms, "Crosstalk". Look that up in one of your electrical engineering books that you may still have or you can borrow mine. Pulling the battery only cures it for a while, and it comes back, but the correct way to do it is to pull the battery and short the leads in the phone that go to the battery to fully discharge the field. But I did say that it had a little to do with the quad's battery. It's not fully what is going on, but it helps to explain something like this if you have something that someone can relate to when explaining. I'm not trying to be an a$$, just trying to help and speak my mind. If you have an opinion, post it. But I think that you are old enough to stop being childish and putting someone down that is trying to speak their minds on a forum.

Thanks.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

[i]"If the battery is not clean, but has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery can be expected to self-discharge more rapidly than if it was clean and dry." lovbyts, were you in my class?

^^^^^^^^ This is exactly what they found out. Espescially between the posts. Always good to keep it clean and dry.
I was the teacher of the class. NOT No I just did a Google search and that is what I came up with.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

1LessRaptor,

Crosstalk is a function of field strength, circuit card layout, shielding, and sensitivity of the circuitry to particular emitted frequencies. Leaving a battery in for a longer period of time will not increase the so-called crosstalk. If there is any signal interference, EMI or HIRF, it will occur when the battery is fully charged and then plugged in. That is when you will have the highest field strength, that is if the battery isnt shielded. Crosstalk can also occur with trace routing within a circuit .

Three final thoughts. 1. You were the one that made this personal. 2. You are wrong about battery discharge on concrete. 3. If you are an engineer, dont design anything that flies or goes over 5mph.

Quick Reply: recharging battery?