Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine engine mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine engine mods

Hi everyone, I found this site while looking for mods for my 03 Wolverine. I have read several past posts concerning this subject and would like to learn more. I have a pipe and airbox mod already and would like to start tapping into the engine for more power. I would like the mods to also be very reliable. My bike needs some more "quickness" and I would like to be able to get out of second gear a little more often. I weigh 215 lbs and the bike struggles in the mid range. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't want to spend the money for a big bore / stroker kit, going .040 over or so with a 10.25 piston and a mid range cam ( race cams are for top end, may hurt bottom end ) will only run a few hundred, while the head is off, a port job, or just cleaning things up helps,too. The newer Wolverines have a 34mm CV carb, good throttle response, but don't have the top end power like the 95 with the 36 mm flat slide Mikuni. If you can swing it, an aftermarket carb (with acellerator pump) will help a lot, or you might even try a Warrior carb (cheap on ebay, you will also need the head to carb intake) and give that a try. Mine is mildly modded, but I turn the aggressive treads on my 25's easy, run just under 60 on the top end, and have no problems running 4th on the trail unless it gets really rough or steep, and I need the extra rpms for a slide out or climbing. I weigh about 192, so we are about the same size, and without doing a major tear down, mine hauls me around fine, and has been very trouble free for the last few years.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply 95Wolv. The .040 over and cam sounds about what I am looking for. Where did you get yours? I am not familiar with how to port and polish, is this hard to do? If I do the engine mods can I stay with the stock carb or will this be defeating the purpose? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 07-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

I got my piston/cam kit from Highlifter, they do charge a 90 dollar core unless you send them your old cam, I kept mine, just in case. I'm sure there are other places , like Powroll and such, that have a decent engine kit. I had a local dealer who raced a Warrior do a mild port and clean up, the Warrior/ Wolverine head has a big hump in the intake port, it can be smoothed out a lot better, and just cleaning up the exhaust makes a difference. You can send your head out to be flow tested, much more precise results, but expensive.To be honest, I don't have a lot of experience with the CV carb, but there are a lot of Wolverine owners out there that have kept their stock carb, so I'm sure with the proper air flow and jetting, it will work fine. With major motor mods, an aftermarket carb would be needed to make the most of the motor's output. The mods I've done work fine with stock carb and exhaust, but I am looking for an aftermarket slip on for just a little more power, I'm sure it will work even better with the mods I've done, just can't make up my mind, I want decent power over stock without the noise of some of the aftermarkets out there.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:44 PM
eja
Range Rover

ChadW, how long have you been running your 489 xt's and how do you like them? Are they very heavy? How do they handle compared to stock? thanks. 95 wolvy , I have a big gun utility series that really is good for bottom and mid range. It is somewhat louder than what your looking for though I think, but big gun has just recently come out with a nice insert that can be installed for a quieter exhaust with close to the same power gains.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks eja, I'll add that pipe to my list, I have been looking into the FMF Powerline, all stainless steel with baffles, no repacking, or the HMF QS1, also supposed to give good power with low noise.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

95Wolv - An aftermarket pipe with a low number of discs will still increase the flow over stock. It may be a little louder than stock but it wont annoyingly loud. Thats why I bought a pipe with tunable discs, although right now I dont have any discs and am running an open end cap.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be a bit wary of doing your own port and polish. Mickey Dunlap has told me that many people actually make their Wolverine/Warrior exhaust ports worse by not knowing what they are doing or having the benefit of a flow bench.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

This is very true. Lotus how is the bike running?

Old 07-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bike is running fine. I am just now working back into riding shape following my surgery.

The 366 parts are ready at the machine shop, just gotta find time to go get em.

Quick Reply: Wolverine engine mods