Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster woes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster woes!

I recently purchased a 2000 Blaster for my son. The machine is in great shape, and started on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. The oil injection has been removed, so we're mixing fuel. After about 15 hours, we started to have a couple of problems that seem to be getting worse. I have no experience with 2 cycles, so I'm a little lost. Here's what's happening, and what I've tried so far.

The machine became hard to start. Kick after kick.... no good. Finally, I would tow the machine to "jump" start it. In addition, the idle doesn't come down after the machine runs for a few minutes. It's seems to "hang-up" and race at a very high idle. Not even an idle, really.

I've done the obvious things... Spark plug, air cleaner, etc. Yesterday, I removed the carbureator and took the bowl off. There was some sediment in the bowl, so I gave it a cleaning. Everything else appeared fine, (not that I know what to look for) and the machine started right up, (2nd kick) when we put it back together. It ran great at first, and I thought we had it fixed, but after a few minutes it was racing again.

I should also mention that the machine has a twist throttle. Maybe that's the problem???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've called to schedule service work, but everybody's telling me that they can't even look at the machine until the end of July, and I hate to make my son wait that long to ride.

Thanks,
Bud

Old 07-09-2004, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster woes!

throttle cable hanging up maybe? or an air leak around the base of the barrel. i'll bet on that cable tho... hehe first place to look. check for air leaks in the intake system, while its running, spray a little brake kleen or even wd40 arounf\d the base of the barrel.. if there is an air leak, the engine will stumble. same with the intake system. youll know when ya find it. watch the gas/ oil mixture and the plug carefully, the spark plug can tell you a lot.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster woes!

You say you cleaned the carb and things cleared up for a short while....Did you pull the jets before you did the cleaning? It still sounds like a clogged pilot jet to me.

When you pull the float bowl off the carb...you will see a big brass jet...that is the main....there is a tube right next to it...down inside that tube is the pilot jet (need a small flat head screwdriver to get it out). The opening on this jet is very small...Make sure you can see light through the jet.

I'm just guessing......I have had symptoms like yours, and it always seems to be a dirty carb.

good luck.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:39 AM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster woes!

i had a problem that was similar to yours. the only diff. is that mine was pouring out gas through the over flow. i cleaned the carb and i still had the same problem. i took off the carb again and noticed it was on choke. i got a peice of wired and wrapped it aroud the lever where the choke cable hooks up and wired it to where it wasnt on choke anymore. after i rigged the choke it ran perfect and hasnt leaked gas or idled high since

Old 07-10-2004, 01:09 AM
Range Rover
Default Blaster woes!

for the idle, just turn the idle screw down and check/clean/replace the spark plug...mayb i dont no much bout 2strokes but just goin my my 4stroke sences my .02 L8R good luck

Old 07-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Blaster woes!

I appreciate the help. I have several things to try now. I also posted on the Hollywood site... Thanks. In answer to the mix question, I'm mixing 50:1. Once I get this worked out, I'll let you all know what the problem was. Thanks again.

Bud

Old 07-10-2004, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster woes!

wow...50:1....isnt that kinda lean on the oil for a engine that could rev quite high....

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default Blaster woes!

With a full systhethic you (amsoil, redline ) you can safely run 50:1.

Old 07-18-2004, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default Blaster woes!

ive never heard of running 5o:1 on a blaster on mines i usally run 32:1 with synthetic racing oil

Old 07-18-2004, 10:20 AM
Range Rover
Default Blaster woes!

I am with raptor8 on this one , try everything he said along with checking the reeds , my blaster will do that alot when the carb is dirty and as of the twist throttle , you always have to play with them alot , try ajusting it some.
Now as of the oil mix , 50:1 is not a good thing always go with 32:1 that is a great mix for a stock blaster. , hope this helps you.

Quick Reply: Blaster woes!