Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Oil Change, What A Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Oil Change, What A Pain!!

Hey guys, did the first oil change on the raptor today and i have to say, what a pain! I took the skidplate off but the bolts were so tight on there I had to spray them, those bolts are garbage. Took off the crankcase bolt, let it drain. Took off the oil resevoir bolt and let that drain, did the oil filter as well. Now here comes the royal one. As all that drained, i put the bolts back on, put the new oil filter on, went to fill the bike up with new yamalube, it took only one quart and started throwing it out of the resevoir. Great.... so started it up for a minute, checked it again, and the oil was virtually nil on the stick. Fair enough, put some more back in, i'd say a half quart or better, kept checking the oil stick as i was adding, it went to about half. Great, fired it up took it around for ten minutes or so, let it cool down for a half hour, checked the stick, NIL. So, took the oil filled it up more, now this time it filled about half on the stick. Took the bike for another 10 minute ride, let it sit for 10 minutes, now the oil is to the top of the stick! Crikey...i took a little bit out of there, the bike was just about cool and to the F on the stick. What a pain. I change my 400ex and fill it up with the required and its ready to go. With this raptor, its just crazy. I LOVE this bike, the power and handling is awesome i definetely enjoy it a lot. I dont really want to sound like a novice typing all this out but im unimpressed with the way it needs handled, so let me ask you this....

When you check YOUR raptor on oil for accuracy, do you check the stick before you drive, or do you drive it around a little A) check it while its hot B) let it cool down and check it? I cant see why it just doesnt fill up correctly with the requirement and go the first time, i really doubt it had a vacuum in it. There's no smoking whatsoever, no leaks whatsoever, nothing. I do not look forward to doing this again!

Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

i just purchased a 04 raptor 660. i hope my experience is not this bad. i just tightened the chain yesterday. i can't get over how much the chain hits the plastic skid plate. i installed a dg yesterday as well. the chain drags on the plastic runner on the chain side of the skid plate until i sit on the bike and compress the rear shock. i don't like this design at all. i like everything free and clear when it comes to the chain. i looked at another bike including a yfz. they all have the same problem. we all agreed it was just a poor design and not wory about it until it breaks.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

its just made that way
so you have to buy a new one in a year or two

Old 07-11-2004, 02:53 AM
Range Rover

Yup that must be it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-11-2004, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

whenever I have changed miy oil, I completletely drain, change filter, put in 2 qts, start it up for a few minutes, cool down 10 minutes, check oil, add about 1/2 pint, start up and run for a minute or so, cool down, check oil level and I am done

Old 07-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

It is a pain the 1st time I guess. You will get used to it and it will be a breeze eventually.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

Actually I've had the same problem and I noticed that the oil is still black but it will only allow 1 1/2 qts or oil. All I can figure is that it didn't completely drain out, but I undid bolt on crankcase and removed oil filter. Is there something else I am supposed to drain? Am I supposed to drain the casing that you pour oil into or does it drain with the rest of the system. I hate sounding like a retard but I just am not getting it.

- Death Metal I too noticed that it only took a quart or less to overflow, but after I started it I guess it pull all of the oil out and send it through the system allowing more oil to be put in. Just pour oil in until it's close to overflowing and then start it for a min and then you can put more in. My only problem is how to get all the old oil out since my oil is still black when i pour the new 1 1/2 qts in.

Old 07-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

all new filter and stuff it takes just a bit shy of 2 1/2 quartz, so you know next time dont put more than that or just put 2 then go from there to reach your fill point..

Old 07-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

motoxraptor

I belive from what i read that what u say is when u have drained ur oil you only do the crankcase bolt.. from my expirence i have to undo the one on the tank as well.. I wish these things were like cars and u only had to change it every 3000 miles i change it nearly everytime i go out for a couple days [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MotoXRaptor02
Is there something else I am supposed to drain? Am I supposed to drain the casing that you pour oil into or does it drain with the rest of the system.
Yes, you must drain the oil from the tank as well. That is why your oil is still black after you change it.

The Raptor is a pain to change the oil. If you don't take the skid plate off you'll have oil all over it. I take a piece of card board and fold a crease in it or cut the top half off a 2 litre pepsi bottle to hold under the oil tank to drain it to keep oil off the frame. Whe I put oil in I put in 1 1/2 quarts in the tank. Start the quad, give it a couple revs and shut it off. Put in another 3/4 quarts and start the quad again. As 1badraptor said a complete oil change is a little under 2 1/2 quarts or 2.43 quarts. The manual says 2.06 quarts with filter change but that never seems to be enough.