Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Trying to raise funds to buy rescue quad for kermitt

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to raise funds to buy rescue quad for kermitt

As some of you know Bob Craycraft was injured while riding in Kermitt a few weeks back. They do not have the means to go out in the dunes and treat a injured rider and bring him out to where a ambalance can take over. A lot of times when a accident happens the other ers will pitch in and help the rescue effort. They allow the rescue personeel to borrow quads or rail buggies. Bobs accident happened on a sunday evening and there was really no one left to help except us. My goal for this year (2004) is to try to help kermitt obtain the polaris 6x6. I can not do this alone and could use your help. I would appreciate help in making this happen. Lets help Kermitt this year and help another riding area next year.

This is still in the early stages but i was thinking that a paypal account could be opened for this cause. ( i need to verify that) When a goal is met then the money would be sent to the agency that we are trying to help. I copied and pasted this from another site.

ridKermitMedic01 Posted: Jul 14 2004, 12:00 PM

Homeless

Group: Members
Member No.: 315

On behalf of Winkler County E.M.S. (Kermit) we were glad to find out that it wasn't a spinal injury after all and you are going to be fine Bob. Maybe the nurses at the hospital weren't cute but the flight medic I turned you over too was. Next time though please keep the rubber side of that 4 wheeler down. We would also like to respond to a few of the postings we read.
If you come to the Kermit sand dunes and are injured, rest assured you can call 911 and an ambulance will respond immediately. We are a full time paid service with a crew on duty and a crew on backup 24 hours a day 7 days a week. We run Mobile Intensive Care Units and can handle just about anything you can throw at us. We usually have the Fire Department respond with us in case we need assistance and most of them have 4-wheelers they bring to help with rescue and searches for lost riders. We also use CareStar helicopter service from Odessa depending on the type of injuries, how far back in the dunes the patient is and how difficult it is to bring the patient back out. Sometimes though CareStar is busy and unable to respond and that is when we have to get creative.
W currently have no rescue vehicle other than borrowed 4-wheelers to use out there but are trying to get the money together to get one. We have determined that a Polaris Ranger 6x6 is what we need to carry our equipment, personell and patient without worrying about getting stuck and to give the patient the safest smoothest ride back out to the ambulance. Polaris has agreed to sell us one at cost and Big Tex trailer in Odessa will sell us a trailer at cost to carry it on. Together with the equipment such as mobile radio, GPS etc. it will cost us about $11,000. Being a small town EMS we just don't have the funding to spend on such a specialized piece of equipment. Our budget also has to stretch enough to cover the rest of Winkler and Loving County and so far all attempts at getting a grant to fund it have been unsuccessful. We will keep trying though and until then we will respond and get you taken care of one way or another.
Any help we can get either through donations, grants etc. is appreciated and accepted. If any of you have any connections with Polaris itself, maybe you can get them to donate one. We have tried but buying a 6x6 at cost is the best we've gotten so far. We can be contacted at 432-586-5860 ext.3029.
If you come to Kermit we hope you enjoy the sand dunes but please be careful. If not, call 911 and we'll come introduce ourselves.

James Everett EMT-P
WCEMS Director

I would love to raise the 11,000 dollars but would feel great just raising enough to get the polaris 6x6. Is this a idea that other fellow ATV'ers would feel good about helping out with?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like a plan 14. I will be willing to donate even though I have never had the opportunity to ride at Kermit. Just let me know where I can send the money!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I would be willing to help other areas get the equipment they need aswell.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good, it will save someones life for sure..

Old 07-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

you could invite the Winkler County E.M.S. to your Aledo drags and they could set up an information booth and take donations and provide tax deductable receipt.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Blue- Can i put you down for a grand???

I hope to have a paypal address to donate in the next few days. A list of names will be given along with the check. Something like- the members of ATV connection, 14mins, bluetracks and who ever. I would like for people to see the money in the paypal account as it grows. The money rasied is the money spent. No person will be payed a penny for working on this. No expenese either. Your donation will 100 percent given to the charity. I will start the fund myself. I am also going to pay the paypal fees out of my pocket. If you give 100 dollars a 100 dollars will end up in the charities hand. I am going to hit up a few busineeses also. (ATV dealerships)

I am going to pester people until this goal is met and then we will start a new goal.

I appeciate the help and am thankful to all.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Get the paypal address set up and I'll donate. I'll probably never ride at kermitt but since they took care of Bob, and he takes care of me, it's works out in the end.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

Are these preparations being made for the next 4 stroke wars or is this for the guy that got hurt because I am all in for supporting the next event because I have not been able to make it to the others because of my quad not being quite ready. Hope that hurt guy gets to feeling better soon.

sirclip

Old 07-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Sirclip- This would benifit a rider that gets hurt at Kermit in the sand dunes, whether he has insurance, no insurance, reguardless if he has ever heard of the internet. Bob Craycraft being injured just brought this need to my attention.

The government spends a 1000 times over the cost of some rescue equiptment to study some milkweed or beetle. Save a bug or plant and kill a human taxpayer.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Ubetrn- Thanks, i should have a paypal address by friday

Old 07-23-2004, 05:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider

HELP!!!!

We are a fewhundred dollars into this goal. A few dollars will go a long way, when many get involved.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

have you contacted Polaris. they have (did have) a program to loan equipment on a yearly basis to emergency agencies at no ($0.00) cost . try their web site or a local Polaris dealer.
allen rasnick emt-p, bigdaddyparamedic, cartercountyrescue.com

Quick Reply: Trying to raise funds to buy rescue quad for kermitt