Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor auto clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 03:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor auto clutch

Picture this. You are taking your rappy to the mountains for the weekend, your buddys have thier automatic 4x4's and you are trail riding right along with them, the trail gets pretty rocky,and the climb is slow, you know have to use your clutch, brake,and throttle to climb at a slow pace. 1 slip of the clutch lever and your Rappy stalls, leaving you in a desperate grasp for brakes and balance until you can fire up the engine, and now you have to ssssssssllllliiiiipppppppp the clutch so you dont wind up or your back. With the auto clutch you can negotiate the terrain without fear of stalling your engine, you can actually come to a complete stop and take back off with out using your clutch. PLUS you can still bust thourgh the gears like normal, this device was not made to make the Rappy an Automatic, you still have to use your clutch to change gears.

I know its not for everybody, but it definately has its purpose. These auto clutches have been around for several years, and alot of dirt bikes,and enduro's use them in the trails. It makes you trail riding experience alot less stressful, and that makes it alot more enjoyable.

bigger.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

good point

Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger, thats why you dont use a sport quad for technical, rocky hill climbs.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddog56
Bigger, thats why you dont use a sport quad for technical, rocky hill climbs.
I agree with Bigger, I have two Rappy's, one for all out drag racing and one for trail and some minor racing.... hehehehe I can see where that can be used because I have been in those situations before!

Old 07-28-2004, 12:23 PM
Pro Rider

Ward... educate me here. I have always heard of an "override" tranny. What is it? From your description above it sounds like an air shifter... is this the same thing?

I know this may be a stupid question, but the tranny is one part that I have yet to work on or try to modify!

Later,
Mike

Old 07-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Not that I want one, but I just drew a little smoke from my clutch
a couple days agao rock climbing up a steep @ss rock hill @ Hungry Valley.....

Old 07-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

biggerisbetter pretty much hit the nail on the head. Lots of guys who run enduros run these. I am wondering how they work for a quad. It would be kind of like a KFX700 except lightweight and you are in control of the rpms (shift points). Personally, I doubt I would ride with this setup either. It does serve a purpose though.

Those who enjoy the challenge of riding a sport quad in mountainous terrain can understand the advantage of having this setup. We ride terrain that a 250ex, a Lakota, and the likes can't make it up so this isn't an option. It is also difficult for most women to run with a full clutch for a whole day of riding in the mountains...at least any woman I want to rollup next to in bed. :-) Not to mention, putting a few of these days back to back.

Doesn't sound like anyone has direct experience on this topic so far. Hopefully a push to the top will find an experienced user of this product. I could be talked into buying this if anyone wants to test it locally in the Baltimore area. I don't want to buy another Raptor (can't believe I would even think about going this route again) without knowing for sure how this would work out.

/Jon

Old 07-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheRaptorMan
Ward... educate me here. I have always heard of an "override" tranny. What is it? From your description above it sounds like an air shifter... is this the same thing?

I know this may be a stupid question, but the tranny is one part that I have yet to work on or try to modify!

Later,
Mike

An "override" tranny has the tranny gears and the shifting drum modified, so that you dont use the clutch when shifting gears. You simply lift up on your shifter and the tranny will slide right into the next gear, This is a MUST if you are a serious drag racer. On a normal tranny ,everytime you shift(Idont care how fast) you loose forward momentium, the Override will gain 2-3 bike lenghts over a normal tranny.

DOWN SIDE..... You cannot let off the gas on a override tranny, since the gears,and the shifting drum are modified to shift FORWARD ,letting off the gas will FORCE the gears to backshift,and that will bend your shifting forks at minimium.

BUT, depending on the tranny , you can have only the gears you want modified, so if you take off in second, you can have 3-4-and 5th modified, so 1st and 2nd will be normal. OR you can have just 3rd and 4th modified, so you can have a tall gear also.

Bigger.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: biggerisbetter
Picture this. You are taking your rappy to the mountains for the weekend, your buddys have thier automatic 4x4's and you are trail riding right along with them, the trail gets pretty rocky,and the climb is slow, you know have to use your clutch, brake,and throttle to climb at a slow pace. 1 slip of the clutch lever and your Rappy stalls, leaving you in a desperate grasp for brakes and balance until you can fire up the engine, and now you have to ssssssssllllliiiiipppppppp the clutch so you dont wind up or your back. With the auto clutch you can negotiate the terrain without fear of stalling your engine, you can actually come to a complete stop and take back off with out using your clutch. PLUS you can still bust thourgh the gears like normal, this device was not made to make the Rappy an Automatic, you still have to use your clutch to change gears.

I know its not for everybody, but it definately has its purpose. These auto clutches have been around for several years, and alot of dirt bikes,and enduro's use them in the trails. It makes you trail riding experience alot less stressful, and that makes it alot more enjoyable.

bigger.
This definitely sounds interesting and something I'd actually like to get for my raptor and my wife's KX100. Do they make them for both of these? Who actually makes them?

Chris

Old 10-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried one of these yet? Since moving to Florida and riding mostly all tight trails with lots of fallin trees across them it might be nice to have. Being an old fart doesn't help either.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]