Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I just bought a raptor...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just bought a raptor...

Ten gallons of propane, five gallons of gasoline, lit off with a flare pulled towards the camper with a fishing line.

Yeah what happened was our buddy was pulling his trailer down to Jawbone canyon for one of out rides early this year. As he was pulling over the big grade on hwy 58 and just after Tehachapi, there was a big rig vs automobile crash right in front of him, and he had to swerve out of the lane to avoid hazards on the road, and when he did this his 16 foot trailer got up on one wheel, then slammed back down. NOw this is a forty year old camper....and was pretty flimsy due to wood rot excetera.....so when he slammed it back down, the shell of the camper basically collapsed and there was daylight between the frame and the shell of the camper.....

Well you ain't gonna fix a 40 year old camper.....why?......so he figured the best thing to do was take it to the dump.....well the dump wanted like $200 to accept the trailer........so the next best solution was to bandaid it together with duck tape and pipe strapping material.....and tow it to our favorite get crazy spot in the next state over.......and have some fun with it......

Oh you should have seen how hard the kids worked to help "prep" this thing for our entertanement purposes.........So we caused the propane and gasoline to saturate the camper, and did this with some well placed rifle shots, and then lit it off hoping for a little explosion action.....but the air/fuel mix was saturated with fuel and had very little oxygen, so no bang, just smoke and fire......Yup it burned down to the ground....all the aluminum melted into cool piles of molton metal.....by the morning....there was very little left.....I tried to tow it with my P700 but could get it to budge because the axle u bolts had dug into the ground.....So we towed it with a truck to it's final resting spot.......where we dumped it over a cliff and into a toxic mine pit turned into toxic pond.......where what's left will very quickly dissolve into the toxic slush.......

You might think this is littering, or dumping, but where we go.....it is littered with abandoned mines, structures, vehicles, crap you wouldn't beleive people left behind........There is a military dump site near there where there is about two thousand old tanks and trucks that were used in the bombing range, that just got the **** shot out of them by low flying planes.....so as far as leaving an old pile of crap out there....nobody know and knowbody cares,...except you.,... and me!

Oh, did I mention there was alcohol involved......Yeah I really tried to put the fire out, your honor, but......but I couldn't see pouring more than one beer on it!

Old 08-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Long time since I replied. Thinks for the post. I got another question. Washing worked good with the wd40. What do you guys use on the chain. It makes a little noise after I got it wet. I greased it with wd40. Will that hurt anything overtime. Is there some better grease to use. Thinks for the replies.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

I pressure washed mine, it looks brand spankin new - keep in mind my plastics aren't stock, and i have no stickers/decals...

The engine looks a lot better now that it's been whiped clean with 2500 PSI of rushing water.

Old 08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Rebel2rumble
I pressure washed mine, it looks brand spankin new - keep in mind my plastics aren't stock, and i have no stickers/decals...

The engine looks a lot better now that it's been whiped clean with 2500 PSI of rushing water.
What do you grease the chain with???? Thanks for the reply...

Old 08-27-2004, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

for the plastic spary black magic tire foam it will shine it real nice and make water come right off

Old 08-27-2004, 09:42 AM
Range Rover

I use PJ1 cleaner (in a green can0 to clean the chain and then I use Maxima chain wax. It was highly recommended when I researched different brands. I used to use Bel Ray chain lube. It was pretty cool but it left a white kind of haze all over everything. Just experimanet and see which on eyou like. I have been told NOT to use WD40 though. May not be safe for O-rings or something????

Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ozarkmaster
for the plastic spary black magic tire foam it will shine it real nice and make water come right off
and make dirt stick right on...........

I do not recomend using anything on the fenders that will leave a resedue...because it will attract dust..........
just the them really clean and use a high quality automotive wax........that should fill in the micro scratches........repel water.........and NOT attract dust.........

yamaha makes a plastic wax now.....it works pretty well also........

Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

They say you are supposed to periodically, soak the chain in solvent then reapply motor oil or chain lube on it.

I personally don't care for that chain wax because I feel it attracts stuff to it. I like a straight forward oilly chain lube, even 30 wt oil is OK.

Soak the crap out of that chain, and often, and it will help extend the chain life. A dr and stiff chain will wear down your gears fast too. And as a rule, Always change drive and driven gears and chain as a set...because whatever happens to your chain will happen to your gears too. I've see a boatload of sprockets ruined by a poorly maintained chain, and if your unlucky enough to spit a chain off it will most likely tear up your crankcase, and that ain't gonna be fun or inexpexsive to fix.

A happy chain is a wet chain....

Old 08-27-2004, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

i use car wash soap 2000, with a hose and sponges and then a tooth brush to get into the tight spots. after that i use black magic tire shine on my plastics..works great..then i lube my chain with bel-ray super clean chain lube!

Old 08-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

how did my icon become a crab?...........o well