Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2004 Kodiak 450 Price

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Kodiak 450 Price

I have a 2004 Kodiak 450 that we have decided to get rid of so I can get another Polaris. It has always been ridden by me (35 year old mom!) so it doesn't have any hard riding on it. It has about 20 hours total and without looking I would say close to 150 miles. It is camo colored and has a Warn Winch. Other than that there are no upgrades or modifications. What could I reasonably expect to get for it. The dealer said they would be glad to take it on trade but I would get a better price if I sold it outright. We live in Oregon near the Idaho border.

I am switching to Polaris because mine beats me to death if we ride very far. My husband has a Sportsman 500 and it is much easier to ride. I need something that is easier on me than my Kodiak. We bought two ATV's last year and they were our first machines so I didn't have any idea what I needed. Now I know I need something that is easier to steer and easier to brake. The Polaris has only one brake instead of the two that the Kodiak has. One is definitely easier. Since last year we have bought a Polaris Trailboss and a Sportsman 90. We have been pretty happy with all of the machines. I just need a ladies machine!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, a Polaris for a Kodiak 450 ... that hurts. but I have heard the independent suspension on the Polaris is nice riding.... in between fixing them [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . are you driving with your diff-lock on, or in 4wd??I've never had steering issues with mine. have you tried adjusting the shocks to change the ride (they are adjustable)? our buddies ride the Sportsman 500, and they are wider and harder to manouever thru the trails.

your price will depend a little on how quickly you want to unload your quad. lower price= fast sale. Normal to higher price, and you may have to wait for the right buyer. the 450 is very desirable due to being fully-featured yet a bit lighter than the Grizzly.I'd suggest being patient and trying to get a few more $$. Ask a Polaris dealer and the yamaha dealer what they'll give you. add $1,000 to that for private sale since dealer needs to make at least that much mark-up on re-sale. Considering how new yours is, I'd say $1,000-1,500 less than what you paid may be possible (no taxes in Oregon too). try advertising in the Washington Buy and Sell, someone there will save 8% tax, plus some depreciation, making it an attractive deal for them.

something used needs to save me minimum $1,000-1,500 otherwise, I'll just get new and a warranty and dealer support.

I see '03's here for a low of $4650 to a high of $5750 (asking prices). we have 14.5% in taxes when we buy new, so that helps keep used prices up a little higher. yours is an '04 so that should help keep price higher. can you see used stuff in local Buy and Sell for comparison?

Old 08-12-2004, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, I've barely touched the brakes on my 450... with the engine braking, I rarely use them... I just let off the gas and it slows down. I've got easily 10 times the use/hours on mine. have you told dealer your concerns? maybe they can make some adjustments for you.

if it was me, i'd gladly swap with my wife, as I think both are good machines. so tell your hubby he's the proud new owner of a 450!!

Old 08-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Confused,

My wife went with me on a 3 day camping trip and after it was over she told me that when I want a new one she wants my Kodiak. She likes the idea of no shifting and was envious of me not having to downshift for hills or slowing down. I see a 2005 Kodiak450 in the future. I told her that would happen if she got to ride it and I also told her I am to big of a boy to ride the Timberwolf so there is no swapping quads.

Addressing the rougher riding feeling, even after adjusting the shocks to the lightest setting is still going to ride rough. It is just the solid axle ride compared to the IRS of the Polaris which just soaks the bumps up nicer.

I also agree about asking the dealer what ballpark figure they are thinking for a trade-in an go from there. Everyone knows that trading in your quad, bike, car or whatever is not going to benificial to the owner but rather it is going to be the dealer who will make out and even if they can sell the item the next day they still will not offer what you think it is worth. In my mind I would not pay more then 5 grand maybe 5200 for it since I got mine for 5700 new.

Good luck in your decision.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 08-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I just saw in the local paper,minneapolis star tribune, where a local dealer, is selling out the remaining 04 kodiaks. 4950, for a brand new 450, plus about 6.5% for taxes and paperwork, so about 5275, will buy an untouched 450. I would think you could start at about 500 less than that.
Sorry to hear you are unhappy with the kodiak, have you tried standing on the pegs, in the real rough stuff? Shock springs on the softest setting? Tried riding a 2005 Kodiak? It has irs for 2005. And a Yami dealer, would be willing to give more for your 2004 than a polaris dealer will, in case you decide to trade it in.