Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee Cooling question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 11:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I have a question about what my banshee is doing. I will almost fill up the overflow tank before a ride. Then when I get back the tank is either almost or totally empty. So I fill it again, and I get the same results everytime. ONe day I did this procedure 5 or more times. I don't see any evidence of coolant spilling out, it seems to suck it up and not return it. Has anyone had this problem? When I first got it it seemed to run kinda hot. NOw that I've been filling the overflow tank up, it seems to run pretty good. Can I solve this, or what? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 08-24-2000, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Overflow is just that, I do not think you should fill it, just fill the radiator, if the radiator and overflow are filled it could be too much pressure? Leaking gasket? Mabe thats where the extra water is going, into the engine? Just a thought....

Old 08-24-2000, 03:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Im not sure about your overheating problems, but you DONT fill the radiator with fluid, keep filling it in the over flow tank like you are doing.

RoostKing...

Old 08-24-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

thats wacked.

Old 08-24-2000, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Ok first take your radiator cover off and take the cap off the radiator. Check to see that nothing is stuck to the cap or the sealing surface of the radiator. next fill up the radiator and put every thing back together. Check your tranny oil and make sure it doesn't have any radiator fluid in it. Fill up the overflow up to the full mark and take it for a short ride. Ride it long enough to get it warm and then come back and check the fluid levels and the tranny oil again. Tell me the results and we'll go from there.

Old 08-24-2000, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

1) Go over to your banshee.
2) See how the coolant catch bottle is mounted.
3) Get the proper tools for the job.
4) Un-bolt the catch bottle.
5) Remove the catch bottle hoses.
6) Step out to the street.
7) Throw the catch bottle as far as you can,return
to your banshee.
8) Route the hose from the top of the radiator (by
the cap) so that if you overheat, the fluid
hits your pipe (so you can see steam,and smell
fluid)
LATER

Old 08-24-2000, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

littering $500 fine

Dont mess with Texas

Old 08-25-2000, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only (2) reasons for disapearing coolant I know of:
1) External Leak 2) Internal Leak
If nothing is leaking externally, check your spark plugs and see if there real clean rather that tan, brown or sooty. If the metal is clean as in new appearance your might have a: bad head gasket, cracked head or cracked cylinder. Another possibility is as someone else posted, that you
might be possibly leaking the coolant into the tranny, so check the oil. It should not be milky, light colored or thinned down. In other words it will be the color in when in as or black if it hasn't been changed. Well another 2 cents...

Rude Dog

Old 08-25-2000, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

We've talked about this over email, but I'm fairly certain, almost positive that it isn't an internal leak. You may not hear it leaking out of the overflow, and since it's a 2-into-1 pipe, it might be missing the the spot where it usually hits on the stock or aftermarket dual pipes. Try this, fill the radiator to the proper level, and the overflow tank to the proper level as well (it's marked in the plastic). Ride it for a while and see if you can tell that the level of coolant in the overflow tank goes up. If it does and it goes up to the point where the drain tube is, then all bets are that it is going out of the overflow tube.

Unless conditions have changed since I last saw your quad, it isn't leaking into the tranny oil. It always maintained a constant level, never increasing. Also, the plugs always looked normal. If it were a head gasket, it should have other signs such as excessive smoking (actually steam from burning the coolant) and a compression check should show varying cylinder pressures.