Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ or Rap

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ or Rap

sweet no i just have to get a aftermarket pipe, header, and a K&n filter, and i willprobable have my dealer jet it. do you think that is a good idea?

Old 09-12-2004, 07:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Default YFZ or Rap

Get the 450, if the seat's too hard take it off, strip it down, get if refoamed with thicker padding sitch her back up, softer seat.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ or Rap

i had the dealer toss my jet kit in while my plug (behind the front sprocket) was getting replaced. If I were you... I would wait at least the 20hr break in period before tossing on the pipe, header, and jet kit. Get use to the feel of it... and after you break it in, set it up w/ the mods. You'll get a kick out of the increased power, and it'll be like Christmas all over again...

Old 09-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ or Rap

I thought about trading the raptor for the 450. My buddy did.

I love the lightness, the handling and the responsive power.

What I didn't like was the hard seat, stiffer ride, the forward leaning seating position, spirty power band and no reverse.

It also seemed kinda flimsy for the rocky desert that I ride in.

But I didn't like how my buddy was pulling a couple quad lengths on me in a race.

So, I put in a 686, A-arms, shocks and I think I have the perfect quad now for me.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ or Rap

id get the 660 if i were you. if you like rough trails the you wont like the yfz. its the most uncomfortable riding bike iv ever ridden. feels like riding on a block of marble with the suspension of a honda 90. also no torque or low end compared to raptor. mid power is to strong. then there is no top end. yamaha fixed this problem in 06. if you like tight wooded trails the raptor is perfect. you can lug it around everywhere. and if you like racing. then an axle on the raptor is all you need. one of the magazines compared the raptor 700 to the yfz and the raptor won. overall the raptor smokes in every catagory except mx racing. so if you are strictly mx racer. get the yfz. if you like to ride trails but want tons of torque and power for a occasional race or two. the raptor is the best choice.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Default YFZ or Rap

hey, my dad has a YFZ and it has tremendous power and torque. The acceleration is awsome. I'd choose the YFZ any day. It is much faster than the Raptor.

Old 01-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default YFZ or Rap

i had an 04 rap with 686 mod done by EAST COAT Atv and i now have i 05 yzf450. THose two bike where totally different, but i like the yfz450 better becuase how fast the engine revs.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default YFZ or Rap

I would not pick up the old school rappy over a yfz.....not in a hundred years! If it was between the 700 and the yfz, I would lean you toward the 700 as you ride trails and wish to go slow sometimes.
I am hear to tell ya, that I love my yfz an all, but if you go slow the thing tears ya up! Its a race quad, meant to go fast. IF your not going fast, then your not doing what the thing was intended to do.
I had the 660, and I think those things where way to tipsy, and the power wasnt all that, unless its was a 686 or bigger with work done to it! With the 700 now out, why even look back at the 660. I know price is probably starring you back in the face....but, dont make a few hundred dollar mistake!
Get the 700 if you want low tractable power, with tons of torque. If you want an all out performance quad, go the yfz route.
Good luck.