Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

YFZ 450 cam questions!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ 450 cam questions!

I have recently bought a 05 yfz 450 I know about the cam mod but im thinking about replacing cams. Im leaning towards the hot cams but this is my FIRST EVER 4 wheeler and im not real familiar with the cam manufactures. can someone please give me some info on the cams what would be the better cam for me? I love to drag race and ride the dunes, I dont do any MX but I do trail ride a little. i'd also like to get something that will help out my bottom end but im not sure if cams are going to do that for me.. please help!!

Old 09-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey welcome to the nuthouse! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The first things you'll want to do on your YFZ (if you haven't already) is get a pipe and jet the carb to match, and open the airbox up. This will pick up your horsepower substantially. If you don't ride in too sloppy of conditions, you can get an Eddie Sanders Racing (ESR) airbox eliminator kit and pick up some more top end.

Then, if you are looking for more, look at the cams. The cam mod done by changing your exhaust cam timing will cost you some bottom end power. Some people like the results and some don't. Aftermarket cams likely will have the same effect.

Do the "easy" power gains first, then decide on the cam question would be my advice for what it's worth.

Shady

Old 09-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

im sick of hearing about losing bottom end with the cam mod. Its just not true. Go read the yfz sites and you will find out its mostly just a myth.

I would go with the webcams over the hotcams. With the webcams you can get the race grind and do the "cam mod" with them. If you do get the hotcams make sure you leave them in the stock position.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

yea i have a friend with a YFZ and he races me on my kfx700 and he did that cam mod thing and it helped him greatly from bottom to top... he beats me left and right .. so im going to be getting a 05 yfz real soon

Old 09-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Just going by what my friend who did the cam mod told me his results were. If you gained top end with no cost to bottom end why didn't Yamaha do it that way from the factory?

Old 09-28-2004, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

the entire bike is detuned. Thats why yamaha didnt do it. Why doesnt yamaha put a better pipe on? Why does the bike come with a lid on the air box when it helps to just toss it off? Why does the bike come so lean?

Old 09-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevendsm95gst
im sick of hearing about losing bottom end with the cam mod. Its just not true. Go read the yfz sites and you will find out its mostly just a myth. I would go with the webcams over the hotcams. With the webcams you can get the race grind and do the "cam mod" with them. If you do get the hotcams make sure you leave them in the stock position.
Check out this dyno from GT thunder...pick here. Looks like the cam mod does in fact take away bottom end.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stevendsm95gst
the entire bike is detuned. Thats why yamaha didnt do it. Why doesnt yamaha put a better pipe on? Why does the bike come with a lid on the air box when it helps to just toss it off? Why does the bike come so lean?
#1 the factory pipe is made to be quiet, not to slow it down.

#2 it has a lid on the airbox to keep water out--could you imagine the warranty claims when no-lid bikes hit the water?

#3 jetted lean to burn clean

Do you really think engineers at Yamaha didn't notice a 100DB pipe makes more power? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

so the web cams would be a better choice than hot cams? and if I went with hot cams leave the timing set how it is? do they not make stage 2 or stage 3 cams for the yfz because I know I only seen one stage for hot cams. thanks for the replys info still welcome!

Old 09-29-2004, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider

you are correct on everything you said. Leave the timing how it is with the hotcams.

shadyrascal: ok smart guy. Then why did yamaha put such a restrictive intake snorkel on their bike? And im sure yamaha could have made a legal db pipe that doesnt weigh 50 pounds and puts out a little more power.

Quick Reply: YFZ 450 cam questions!