Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly vs. Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly vs. Rincon

i mud all the time guys i ride with have rincons ther awesome lookin and do pretty good in the mud low range is impor if your like pullin something though indt it?

Old 10-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

the rincon is a 3 gear automatic right?...so technically its got a low medium and high [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]....i havent ridden one...but i have heard alot of people say its the most comfortable atv to ride...

Old 10-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rincon is a 650. Its not going to be down on power reguardless. If you compare it to other 650's, maybe you can make a case, but remember that we used to say how powerful the Foreman 450 was back years ago, and it could do all this stuff too. The Rincon will not have a lack of power issue unless you are competing head to head with other big bores.

The drawbacks to the Rincon is drum front brakes and no differential lock. If you still believe the traxlox Honda differential is so awesome, go to the Polaris webisite, watch their video (which is pretty biased) and you can see the honda 3 wheel.

Although (and I don't know if they even have this thing on their website still) it does show the drawbacks to a limited slip, you can tell Polaris doctored up the video, because they show everyone elses quads not making it through a rutted slick spot, but the Polaris does. Both the Grizz and Prairie (which have lockers) go in with their tires already packed with mud and take bad lines. The polaris that goes through it has clean tires and takes the right line. It was kind of a no brainer, but still a good way to see a 3 wheel drive in action.

Old 10-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider

Thats wierd you guys like the rincon looks...i think it looks like a toy or something....just something bout it dont look good...i thin the grizzley and kodiak look the best outta any utility

Old 10-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

agreed

Old 10-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Having had seat time on both of these incl alot on a Grizz I would have to say Andy is about right on.The RIncon is the best handling IRS period! That quad is only a low range,locker and better engine braking away from being a real good package.Don't worry about climbing...they climb like a cat.They are (down on power).They have good power but just not P650/700 power.I personally don't like the way a grizz drives in the woods.Rides liek a caddy and the guys that have say you get used to them.One of our guys has a set of c-series wheels and that helps a little by widing the stance but thats another expense after paying for the quad.
IMO Honda just builds what they want more or less because there are people like my brother in law that has total blind faith to them...........as long as Honda builds it it must be good so he will buy it.Totally closed minded.
Oh well.....good luck in your decison.......try and go to a dealer that will let you ride on.
02 650 camo

Old 10-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't ridden the Rincon so I won't say good or bad about it but I can say that I would and will buy another Griz for my wife. I was going to get her the Kodiak 450 but she said I would have to ride it because she's not giving up the Griz. Everyone claims that the Griz is tippy but I don't think they have ridden one. With the shocks set at the factory setting, it does sway when going around high speed, flat or off camber corners, but I have yet to get the inside tires to come off the ground. Also, if you tighten the springs on the shocks, the "tippieness" feeling goes away but you tend to slide more around turns instead of the tires bitting in.
Unless all you are going to do is flat trail riding, I don't know why anyone would want to buy a quad that doesn't have a locking front dif. and low range. Yes, you can get by without them, but you can get into or out of so much more with them.
Wether you get a Griz or some other brand, get one with a locker and low range.

Old 10-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

Unlike the rincon the Grizzly suspension is adjustable and can be modified to fit the rider. If you don't want it to be as mushy, then stiffen the suspension. It is as simple as that. The stock tire are what makes people think that it is tippy. I have ITP c-series rims and dirt devil tires and it isn't tippy at all. I can slide it sideways on hard pack without any problem. It handles high speed trails like a dream. It used to close the suspension a little on sharp turns at high speed on the trails, but I just stiffened the front suspension and it corners in a heart beat. An criticism that I have seen can be fixed with little effort and then you are left with only one comparision. Power. The griz has it and the rincon doesn't. My griz launches up steep hills in high without effort. It will articulate over rocks and dead wood with easy. If you use low gear it accerates like a raptor (up to 50 or so). I have never needed more power and the handling is fine. You will have to ride it, not just sit on it, but you will be amased what it will do.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have to agree with that one too. Most of the posts you see downplaying the grizzly in speed and handling are normally big arguements making a big deal out of a fine line. Yes the Prairies and stuff will corner better, but the Grizzly will corner good and is very fast all the same. It will do more things than most other quads out, so beware when you see all these posts on how low on power it is or how it corners "bad". They are only true when comparing it to something that does this better than any other quad on the market. Its basically the same thing as with the Rincon being low on power. Have to remember, these are the flagship models for each manufacturer. They are not slouches. They will perform. Have to really be nitpicky to find fault.

Yes, I would buy another Grizzly if I was to buy right now. I can drive the crap out of mine on dirt roads and never feel unsecure. And I can outrun any quad in town as well, but of course nobody has a Prairie here either. Or even a sport quad for that matter, mainly because its hard to mount a gun boot on a sport atv.

As far as sidehills, the grizzly is narrow. That is its only downside. For the price difference in a Rincon and a Grizz, you could add a set of aftermarket rims to widen it up to par. I think I paid like $220 shipped for my ITP Deltas and they are the cheap option. Aluminum would run around $350 maybe, and thats still within the range if you were to compare MSRP's on both quads.

Old 10-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

sup sluggo312
iv had a grizzly 660 sense 2003 and put 850 miles on it and have not had to do anything sept getting it maintenced and put new tires on it [riding it on the rode kills your tires]it is very reliable I am an avid hunter and count on it to get me from a to b. it has nevr failed me hondas have ok reliablity but thatds all

another quad you might want 2 look at is the new kawasaki brute force 750. my dad has it and it rocks it will beat my grizz. dont get me rong both are great quads but if you want speed and power look at brute

Quick Reply: Grizzly vs. Rincon