Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

yfz450 jetting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yfz450 jetting?

No one has mentioned how to adjust a fuel screw!!!! I not talking about turning it in to lean it out or screwing it out to make it rich, no, I mean do you guys know how to set the fuel screw????? I'll let know, 1st of all it's a hell of alot easier if you buy an aftermarket fuel screw that you can adjust by hand instead of a very short screwdriver. Your fuel screw setting will change all day long as the temps go up & down. After the quad is warmed up set the idle high, then slowly turn the fuel screw in all the way(the motor will start to slow or bog usually) then turn it out(richer) until the motor rpm peaks & the exhaust sounds crisp...that is your setting....until the temperature rises or humidity changes...then you will have to adjust it in or out as the weather dictates. I ride a YZ 450F & adjust my fuel screw about 3 times a day. Remember...colder weather requires richer jetting & warmer weather wants a leaner setting. Having the fuel screw set wrong on these FCR carbs WILL make the quad pop(lean) or bog(rich setting...but can also bog if way too lean) I recommend Ty Davis' fuel screw...the stock one is too much of a hassle.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default yfz450 jetting?

I dont know what more to say to you. Read all my posts. Ive given you all the information you need to know and where to find that info. The GYT-R jet kit will have all the jets you need for elevation 0-1500 feet plus a 45 pilot jet and the NCVQ needle which is the needle from the YZ450F dirtbike. At the elevation and temperature you are at, you should not need to go more then a 45 pilot jet. Your clip position on the needle should be at the 3rd or 4th depending on how you like to run your mid range. Some like to run it a bit on the lean side, some like to run it a bit on the rich side. That clip position is for the NCVQ needle. If you dont have that needle and only have the stock needle, those clip postions are 5th or 6th. Generally you dont want to run a needle higher then the 5th clip position, thus is why people switch to the NCVQ needle. Its how the needle is tapered. Your main jet setting should be around 168- 172. All of these recommendations are with slip on aftermarket exhaust and airbox lid removed with K&N filter and outerwear. If you want to keep your airbox lid on, then your clip position will be on the leaner side...i.e. 2nd or 3rd (4th or 5th for stock) and your main jet should be around 165-168. My set up when I had stock exhaust with baffle in and airbox lid removed was a 45 pilot jet, 4th clip on stock needle, and 165 main jet at 65 degrees and 100 feet elevation. My set up now with aftermarket exhaust is 45 pilot jet, 3rd clip on NCVQ needle, and 170 main jet at 55 degrees and 100 feet elevation. You should go to this site and read everything regarding jetting. I did, and I was able to dial it in after reading it. Dogriders

Old 10-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Range Rover
Default yfz450 jetting?

As far as Fuel screw adjustment goes, I found this site quite helpful with that.
Printed it out even![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Fuel screw adjustment

Old 10-30-2004, 01:08 PM
Range Rover
Default yfz450 jetting?

Originally posted by: Deimos
One more time for those in the cheap seats....45 pilot, 168 main, 5th clip on stock needle. Remove airbox lid. These numbers are for the Keihin jets. So you can go and get these jets and get your bike dialed in or you can continue to argue with people cause you dont have the right jets. Good luck.
These #'s are right on with the airbox lid off and baffle removed. Just my .02

Old 10-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default yfz450 jetting?

well im just ganna buy a jet kit and mess around with it until i get it right i mean i do have all winter to mess with it, o yea and BTW wuz that guy right bout not having to adjust the valves b/c they use shims? i never heard of that before