Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Single carb banshee needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single carb banshee needs help

My cousins just installed the single carb kit for their 96 Banshee. It is a 35 PWK if I remember right. Anyway, the place they purchased it from said it came pre-jetted and should only need some minor tweeking to get it running good. Anyway, they installed it and it has no low end power. The top end just about tears your arm off when it hits, but it gargles really bad on the bottom. Now I know its a two stroke, and they are not known for their low end power, but the way this thing is acting is ridiculous. They tried mesing with the A/F screw, and that seemed to help some, but things are still pretty bad. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as jetting or any other tips that would help? Thanks for your advice.

-Brandon

oh yeah, the Banshee has some mild porting done, bored over, Paul Turner pipes with Fat Boy silencers.

Old 11-08-2004, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

RaptorRookie
Does the Banshee have a cool head or is the Head cap shaved a mill or so? This is what I did to get the bottom end up a bit. I got 21cc domes in my pro design cool head. I also have 16cc domes in my alky. Nice thing about the cool head is there adjustabuility.
Most of my riding buddies who changed over to the single carb deal didnt notice any changes other than the lost of the bottom end. The shaved head or cool head fixed this on both of them. Now they have since sold the single set up on Ebay. Back to the twins.

Old 11-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

There's no such thing as pre-jetted, I would move the needle clip positon to a leaner positon if it is gurgling before the powerband.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Range Rover

The head is milled, but I don't know how much. I agree that there is no such thing as pre-jetted. The shop they bought it from said they way the carb was set up it was good from a stocker all the way to a 440. I am thinkin b.s. on that. but the shop gauranteed it would work. My cousin moved the needle down a bit, but that didn't seem to help much. I think they are gonna take it back and call the guy and his so-called guarantee. Hopefully it can be made to work, or they might just go back to twin carbs. If you guys have any other suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.

-Brandon

Old 11-09-2004, 04:22 AM
Pro Rider

I'd try and adjust the needles, that is the only thing i can see really kicking it in the pants are far as low end power.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Range Rover

the reason why it probubly it garguling is because it's trying to more air in it's not getting enough. there is more fuel than air. my wolvy does the same thing in 5th and have the throtel 3/4 of the way.

Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

It's either too much fuel or too little fuel.....your gonna have to start from step #1 throw in some fresh plugs and run it WOT for about 10-15 seconds and kill the engine, and see what the plugs look like, and work your way through all the circuits........here is some good reading for you----> Banshee Jetting

Old 11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Hiram
That was some good reading!!! Thanks