Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee handling......

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The banshees gonna be my next quad as things are goin now but i was wonderin are they hard to jump and do they handle good? i heard that they are nose heavy but i just wanted to get some input from some owners that ride em. do you have to change the style of riding you do to keep it from nosediving on jumps and two-wheeling on corners? I know they got tons of power i was just wonderin about the handling. Thanks

Old 09-06-2000, 01:02 AM
Range Rover

They are not hard to jump, I find that mine is pretty easy to control in the air. Maybe a little nose heavy, but just stay on the gas and you'll be fine. As far as the "no bottom end" and "loosing power in the turns". To an extent that is true, it does take some clutch work to keep it on the pipe. I ride mine mostly on tight trails and I have no problem whipping around on it.

Old 09-06-2000, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Yeah, I agree! This is my first quad, and it seems to do great to me. It jumps good to me. It flies straight, and does what you want it to in the air.
I've ridden in some tight trails and some tracks. It's definitely not the easiest in turns, but I'm no pro, so I can ride hard and fast and not have to be in the powerband 24-7. I've had a blast on it. Turning is good to me, though not as good as the 400ex. The seat is slippery to me, that's one of my complaints, but oh well. Hope this helps!

Jason

Old 09-06-2000, 07:26 PM
Trailblazer

If you compare a Banshee to other quads such as a 250R, yes they are slightly nose heavy, but nothing you wont get use to after riding. They jump just fine (a Banshee holds the world record for quad jumping), the nose heavy stance is easily corrected by the aftermarket. And for people who say it has no bottom end, are people who cant maintain their speed through corners and whoops, A Banshee is a handful for inexperienced riders, put an amateur on almost any pros bike and the amateur willalmost always say it doesnt have enough bottom end power, experienced riders can carry more speed and momentum anywhere on the track than a beginner so the motors are built for them and their abilities, just like a Banshee, so beginners need not apply!
96 Banshee: too many mods to list

Old 09-06-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey MadMXSkills, maybe your trouble with the Banshee are because of your Bad-MX-Skills??? Sorry, I couldn't resist it was too easy.

Old 09-07-2000, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

anybody else got an opinion on em?

Old 09-07-2000, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Slide, Slide, Slide... Banshees love to slide around the corners. If you can keep the rear wheels spinning (easy to do with the Banshee) and keep the rear end from swinging around too far, it will not cartwheel in the corner.

Nose up or down in the air is all about throttle control coming off of the jump.

If you are serious about handling, replace the stock front shocks before investing in anything else.

Old 09-07-2000, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

Clutch work or a little balancing act.

Next time you come out of a corner with the RPMs real low. Throw all your weight forward. I am talking legs up against the bars. The reduced weight on the rear wheels will make them break loose a bit bringing the RPMs back up. Get your weight back on the seat and she will hook up and take right off.

Sounds or looks a little funny? Watch a tape of Travis Pastrana ride at Millville, MN where he won both 125 motos.

Old 09-07-2000, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well thanks for the input everybody, the banshee is gonna be my next quad for sure, i just needed to know if it handled good. thanks