Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor owner's Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2000, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just thought i would start a post for raptor Reviews by owners.

I will start, I picked my Raptor up today at 2:00pm. Let me tell you I love it, It has gobs of torque. I never got on it much because i want to break it in properly. It is not tippy, and the suspension is very adequate. I love those tires, the radials are really nice. This thing is so easy to wheelie. I don't think first gear is too high, but second might not be low enough. My friends rode it and they love it. I will add more later, i have only rode it for an hour and i had to go back to Purdue 150 miles away from my Raptor. I will post some pics tommorow. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old 09-06-2000, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Did you get the color you wanted, or did you have to settle for a blue one? How many bikes did your dealer recieve...did you get the first one or did they use that one for display? We are still waiting for ours here in AZ. My dealer has one, but they won't part company with it. Just trying to figure out how much longer I have to wait. It's torture going down there and drooling over the display bike! I can hardly wait to put a decent pipe on mine, as the stock one looks really restrictive. C'mon Yoshimura!!! I'd really like to know more of your impressions as you get more time on it. Think it will beat a DS650?

Old 09-06-2000, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Everything ScottD asked, especially about the muffler. If is does seem restrictive, is the end of it made so that a replacement tip could be used instead of the stock one? That might help out with the 2nd gear thing. If I remember right, even just replacing the end piece on the DS650 silencer was said to add quite a bit of torque.

What's it sound like, a 400ex or a yz426 or somewhere in between?

First gear wheelies or even higher gears without clutching it?

I'll think of more later.. gotta go now.

Old 09-06-2000, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

what im trying to understand is; if your dealer has one, how can they not be willing to part with it. seems to me that if someone put a down payment on one and has had to wait for it to come in, how could they just say we're not giving it to you yet. dealers have a responsibility to the consumers that keep their business going and if they pre sold raptors, then when they come in, they need to give em up to the rightful owner.
is it written in the contract anywhere that when the product comes in, they can keep it from you as long as they wish?
maybe if the dealers give people their rightful property and let word of mouth spread they will get more orders.

just my opinion.

99 400EX, 87 Banshee, sandrail

Old 09-06-2000, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

The dealer in my area got two Raptors in last Friday (Sept 1st). I took a look at the one in the show room. The dealer also started it up for me. The Raptor sounds remarkably like a Warrior. Looks like a nice bike, but from looking at it I did see a couple things thatI don't like... First of all there is no crossbar on the handlebars, and if you replace the handlebars with one with a crossbar, you'll have a hard time getting the key in the socket. Second, the oil filter is in a prime place to get knocked off. Lastly, I kinda feel that the radiator doesn't have enough shielding from rocks, etc... I'm not saying this is a bad machine here, but I think I'm gonna wait a couple years to get mine :-/.

L8er,
Jeff
http://www.atv-offroad.com

Old 09-06-2000, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider

I received the black and white one. It was the first and only one the dealer received. I think the stock pipe is really restrictive, the endcap will come off easily with 3 allen screws. It is about as loud as a stock 400ex, but it has a deeper growl to it. I think 2nd gear will be fine, if you rev first out all the way. First gear is like first and second combined on a 400ex, but it still has gobs of torque to almost jerk your arms off when you hit the throttle. I never got it out of 3rd gear and i only went to 3/4 throttle. It easily lofts the front end with just a blip of the throttle and the torque just keeps ypu riding wheelies all day. I am positive that it will beat a stock DS650, but i'm not sure about a modded one. But i will find out in a about a week or so when I go home and Race my friends DS w/(Ron woods pipe, rev box, K&N filter),and my other friends 400ex who just had $1500 in motor work done.
I am going to start scannning pics, hopefully i will have some posted within an hour or two

Old 09-06-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

I got my black and white one everything he says is true and then some, Im speechless, it is awesome, just so awesome. It will launch and fly. It rocks in a major way.

Old 09-06-2000, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds good to me!

I bet it won't be long before someone has a new end cap with a bigger opening to see if that opens up the exhaust some.... You know, you 2 just make the wait to get mine even harder!

Old 09-06-2000, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

I forgot to ask, does it have a 2-stroke feel to it as was reported? What I mean is, can you feel it really starting to make power as the RPMs come on?

Old 09-06-2000, 04:34 PM
Banned

I know Bash.

I'm on egg shells over here. Where are the Raptors in CT?

IronBear

Quick Reply: Raptor owner's Review