Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Single carb for banshee

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single carb for banshee

Does anyone have a single carb for their banshee? if so what are the advantages and disadvantages? Im thinking about getting one but i want to know if its worth the money. thanks for your replies.

Old 12-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my bike it had the Trinity setup on it with a single PWK36 carb. There are 3 advantages in having that setup over stock.
You can get rid of all that TORS crap and make things a lot easier to work on.
You gain quite a bit of bottom and midrange and smooth out the power delivery
You have only one carb so you can ride a long time without thumb fatigue.
The only real disadvantage is that it will sign off at a higher RPM. The motor will still wind, but it wont make any more power than the 2 stock carbs. Other than that it is a great setup for the person who likes to ride instead of race.

Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Range Rover

My cousins went with the single carb setup. At first it had no low end. It would bog, then tear your arms out of their sockets. They took it back to the shop where they bought the setup, had them adjust it right, and it helped quite a bit. There was a lot more low end then before, but it still bogged just a bit. Then we took it to Sand Lake, (one of the local dune riding areas), and the motor blew on the second ride out. Pulled the right plug and the electrode was gone and chunks of metal were welded to the plug. Not a pretty sight. Not sure yet what caused this, but supposedly the shop set the carb up for sand riding. So far, they have not had luck with the single carb set up and are seriously thinking about goin back to two carbs. It may be a little more complicated, but at least it worked. I always say, stick with what works. If the dual carb set up is working, then keep it.

-Brandon

Old 12-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Range Rover

stay with the stock carbs unless you want all bottom end power they suck top end
there are other hop ups out there for power like a degre key (best bang for the buck)
boost bottlle,reeds,cool head and domes the list goes on

and every one will tell you that you loose top end !

Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

My friend runs a single card on his banshee, it gives a good bottom end chunk, and does steal from top end, though the amount it loses is hardly recognizable.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

1. Easier to get set up correctly to start easy and idle everytime.
2. Change main jet or pilot in 5 minutes instead of 1 hour. Change needle clip in 10 min instead of 2 hours.
3. No carb sync reqd ever.
4. Good way to get rid of TORS (throttle override system with related problems).
5. Overall easier to start and ride. Pulls better before the hit. The hit is sooner. Very little noticible difference on top. Dyno charts indicate slight loss of top end power level and overrev.
6. Good for trail riders and casual duners. Not rec'm for all out power junkies.
7. The Trinity single carb to air box adaptor is piece of crap. Doesn't fit well and makes future carb and airbox removal much tougher. Rec'm go with no air box and good clamp on filter with outerwear.

If I had to do over, I think I would have gone with twin 28mm's and avoided the air box adaptor headache with the single 35. Cost is about the same. But either way is much better than the stock POS set up.

Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you guys for all your replies.....So i gues the single carb is a lot of hassle and work.....i think i'll just stay with the dual carbs but get bigger ones. thank you again.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Why try to make the Banshee something it's not? If you want low end power, then get a thumper.

Old 12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Why try to make the Banshee something it's not? If you want low end power, then get a thumper.
The Banshee is without a doubt the funnest quad to ride in the sand and in easy conditions due to the wild and crazy power hit. I love it. I am just not quite a good enough rider to handle the power of a modified Banshee. A stock Banshee is also not nearly as much fun. So we mod them to run hard then de-tune to hang on. I did get a thumper and I do ride it a lot but will never sell the Shee.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]