Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Clutch help needed.....please

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Clutch help needed.....please

Okay I finally got that motor out of the frame (whew a whole lot of stuff to remove, I hope I can remembe to route those wires back in the same place). I pulled the clutch over off and I've soaked my new plates in oil for about 3 weeks now. Upon removing the old plates I saw a funky smaller ring. I looked at my shop manual and it's called a cushin spring. However it's not totally flat and my clutch kit did NOT come with one. It looks evenly warped like to give some tension but nothing is mentioned in the shop manual about it. Is it supposed to be flat or indeed that warped appearance is how it should be.

Also from anyone who has done thier clutches, is there anything else to look into before I slap the cover back on? Any info would be greatly appriciated..

PS... do you have to remove the motor to do the clutch? There is one nasty bolt in the back that forced me to pull it out.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

no you shouldn't never need to pull your motor out to change the clutch, ive put 4 cl,utched in my raptor, and i have no idea what part your talking about.

Old 12-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Old 12-05-2004, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

Still doesn't answer my question. What cushion spring, is it flat or not? If it's supposed to be flat then mine is severly warped and I'll have to wait before I slap the motor back again this weekend.

I pulled the motor out for various reasons (cleaning and inspection, new piston will go in, head porting , etc). However there is one bolt that is wayyyyyy back there.. and I could not remove it without removing the motor.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cushion spring is a spring so it's not suppose to be flat. I think it's there so there is a possitive disengagement in the clutch and to eliminate chatter. Not all clutch kits come with two large inside diameter fibers (one of which goes with the cushion spring the other with the pressure plate) so it's not used.
Which clutch kit did you get?

Old 12-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I think it was a Tusk clutch kit. I don't recall. I opened it up threw it in a a pan filled it with oil and it sat for 3 weeks. I will keep and eye out for two larger fiber plates.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

Did the tusk have the 2 larger fiber plates and how is it working.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

TTT

Old 01-24-2005, 10:24 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dfitz
Did the tusk have the 2 larger fiber plates and how is it working.
I purchased a Tusk clutch with 10% stronger springs from RMATV for my Raptor about 6 months ago. It only came with 1 larger inside diameter fiber plate, RMATV sent me another one. One larger plate allows for the cushion spring to sit in the clutch pack and the other larger inside diameter fiber goes on the outside of the clutch pack. The clutch will not work if a regular fiber is on the outside....I learned this the hard way...lol. Clutch has a slightly stiffer feel and works great for me. Half the cost of some other clutch kits out there as well.

Old 01-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I had no trouble getting to all of the bolts...a few are tough, but after the skid is removed I could get to them. The cover is a booger getting on and off.

Quick Reply: Raptor Clutch help needed.....please