Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Kodiak 450 Tires Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Kodiak 450 Tires Question

I was wondering. I have a Kodiak 450 and it comes stock with at25X8 -12 in Front and AT25X10 - 12 in rear. I was thinking in the future of getting ITP Mudlite tires. MudLte Tires Now I do mostly trail riding with some small creeks, fallen trees, some mud holes..Not Mud Boggin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Now I like the ride of the stock tires. Question first of all would these tires be a good choice and would they feel the same as stock. Now I heard of people getting bigger sized tires on there quad. Could I go up to say 26x10-12 front and 26x12-12 rear and what would be the difference between that and stock size? Also should you run a smaller sized (10 Verse 12) tire in the front then the rear? Also will these bigger tires fit on my stock rims (is that what the -12 is)? Or should I stay same sized tires that are on my quad now. I like how it rides now and don't want it to feel like a tractor or anything. Say I stayed stock size what is the difference between the AT and XT mudlite tires? Or would there be a better tire brand for my needs? I know alot of questions but I'm very new to this.Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I was looking and maybe would like to go with the Mudlight 26x9-12 front and 26x10-12 rear on aluminum rims. Do you think that would be a good combination?

Old 12-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Go with the 26x10-12 front and 26x12-12 rear, one of the guys I quad with has the Kodiak 400 and works awesome with them have driven it myself also. Raves about them all the time on his Kodiak. Going with the smaller tire up front as the 26x10-12 will keep it easy to steer, if you where in the mud a great prencetage of the time then maybe the 12 up front, for all around riding just go with the 10s though.

To add I have a 05 Grizzly myself with same size combo, and see no reason not to go with that combo on the Kodiak 450.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Trailblazer

I was considering the same thing for my Kodiak.
I was thinking either 489's all around, or maybe even 589's. Even considered Bearclaws.
Thought about going 10's up front, and 12's in the rear, both 26's, but wondered how it would effect handling, and the obvious drain off the low end.
Also, would I be able to use my stock wheels, since I'd only be going an inch wider on both sides?
If anybody has actually done this swap on a Kodiak 450, please let me know.
Thanks.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Range Rover

i personally have heard great things about the holeshot atr's. they would give the same ride as stock but with extra bite. if you go with a 26 inch tire, the atv will sit a little bit higher than stock. also i don't know if this is a concern for you or not but my dealer told me that if i had gotten 26 inch tires, yamaha would not honor my warranty, so that's why i have the 25's. yes, the bigger tires will fit on the stock sized rims.

Old 12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Range Rover

when i bought my 450 i had 27" mudlites installed before i left the dealership. i rode around 15 miles to realize this wasn't for me. it rode like a tractor and wouldn't hardly climb simple hills in hi range. since i mostly ride technical type terrain i went to titan 489xt's with stock heighth.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Range Rover

downNdirty,

You mentioned Yamaha will not warranty if you install lagger than stock tires. Here in Houston some Yamaha dealers are selling NEW Kodiaks and Grizzlies with ITP 589 27" tires and other bolt on mods. I think it all depends on where you bought or serivice your bike. Y.E.S. warranties are worthless and I should have not bought one. After speaking/BS'ing with some service techs about the warranty subject. IMO you only get warranty repairs covered if you have family thats works at the dealer or good friends or maybe get lucky. I wish I could sale mine back to the dealer or giveup the warranty and have yamaha credit my accout toward paying off the bike.

1) Yamaha looks for every possible way to not cover the repair
2) If you do not have "PROOF" of dealer service ie: oil, etc then motor repairs will not be covereds
3) If you have a Modification and if they even think it has anything to do with the repair they will not cover it.
4) If you ever swamp you bike and take it in for repair they black list you for future warranty repairs or have other motor type repairs

Windmill,

I have a bigbear and Santa already delivered new 27" Mudlights under my tree. Your Kodi will handle larger tires and you can install on 12x7 stock rim. Thats what Im going to do. I recommend going with the 27"'ers and if you get extra wheels keep your stock set if you need them.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

i'm just going by what my dealer told me. i like having the confidence that if something breaks, yamaha may cover it, even if this means keeping my bike stock until the warranty runs out. i have no reason to beleive at this point that yamaha will void my warranty, they haven't given any reason to. as far as going with larger tires, will 27's clear on the kodiak?

Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I go with say larger tires 26x12-12 rear verse 26x10-12 rear wouldn't that make the tire wider than my fenders hense more chance of mud flying up and hitting me. I like the way it is now. I hardly get any mud and thats with no over fenders as they don't have them for the 05 yet. I don't think I will get the overfender as I am happy with the way it is. But also I think 26x9-12 front might make it easier to steer verse 26x10-12? I will be going throught tight trails mostly not mud boggin and open fields. So that is why I'm wondering what would be best for my situation? Are these a good deal if I got these Tires With Wheels ? Like I said I think Mudlight 26x9-12 front and 26x10-12 rear on aluminum rims would be best combination for what I do less mudd flying up? Whatcha all think? Or maybe even stick with stock size? Thanks for all the input you guys are a great help.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

My wife has a 2005 Kodiak 450 (fantastic ATV by the way), and we have swapped to 25" Maxxis Sur-Traks (same tire as the Bearclaws) mounted on those same C-Series type 5 wheels that are shown in that link to the ebay option. Just so you know, those wheels have about 3 inches more offset than the stock wheels, and our rear tires are 4" outside of the fender, and front tires are 3" outside of the fender. We're talking big time mud flipper here.

OL.

Quick Reply: Yamaha Kodiak 450 Tires Question