Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

T.O.R.S. removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T.O.R.S. removal

In a couple of months I am planning on going and gettting a new Banshee (since this is supposed to be the last year, I figured I better do it soon). The first thing that I want to get out of the way is the T.O.R.S. system. My question is, I was told that it would make the throttle pull alot easier than it is factory. Thats one of the reasons that I wanted to take it off, is this true? I did a search and couldnt find an answer to this question anywhere.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

Originally posted by: Lomax
In a couple of months I am planning on going and gettting a new Banshee (since this is supposed to be the last year, I figured I better do it soon). The first thing that I want to get out of the way is the T.O.R.S. system. My question is, I was told that it would make the throttle pull alot easier than it is factory. Thats one of the reasons that I wanted to take it off, is this true? I did a search and couldnt find an answer to this question anywhere.
The TORS system will save your rear end if for some reason a slide sticks. After a couiple of rides your thumb will strengthen and this will be a non issue.
Gary

Old 12-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

My neighbor had his TORS removed off his new Banshee. I am told this is the thing to do. It was replaced with some screws.

It will allow the carbs to be tuned more precisely resulting in an extra 3 to 4 hp. Not sure about throttle pressure.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

The advantages of removing TORS is that troubleshooting electrical problems is much simpler, electrical system is much more reliable, re-jetting needle circuits is easier because the TORS hardware on top of carb is all removed and slides can come right off. Many Banshee riders replace the stock Mikuni carb set-up altogether and rarely have problems with stuck slides.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
My neighbor had his TORS removed off his new Banshee. I am told this is the thing to do. It was replaced with some screws.It will allow the carbs to be tuned more precisely resulting in an extra 3 to 4 hp.
I would LOVE for you to explain to me how removal of the TORS devise allows for more precise tuning. The floor is yours.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

Originally posted by: oldturtle
The advantages of removing TORS is that troubleshooting electrical problems is much simpler, electrical system is much more reliable, re-jetting needle circuits is easier because the TORS hardware on top of carb is all removed and slides can come right off. Many Banshee riders replace the stock Mikuni carb set-up altogether and rarely have problems with stuck slides.
Rare, but it does happen. Happenned to me several times on a Banshee. Last time it happenned TORS was still on this bike and it quit. What did the first one do? Sucked WFO and threw an unsuspecting me off the rear and the atv decided to try climbing a tree. Thats fact right there. Although I would not mind taking the TORS off if I was experiencing electrical trouble with it...but thats the only way.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default T.O.R.S. removal

[/quote] I would LOVE for you to explain to me how removal of the TORS devise allows for more precise tuning. The floor is yours.[/quote]

i agree with this, you will not get more power by removing TORS, it will however let jetting be less complicated.

if you decide to remove it you will need a removal kit that consists of new carb tops, or you can just get some bigger carbs anyway, chances are you will upgrade them down the line anyhow.

you could also just disable the system but leave the tops the same, this would not make jetting easier but would stop the system from limiting your rpms at a certain situation

Old 12-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T.O.R.S. removal

I dont condone for most people to remove factory safety equipment. 75% of the people riding need that. The other 25% that can grab the clutch and kill switch with the left hand quick enough shouldn't have a problem. Removing the TORS does make jetting and working on the carbs a much simpler task.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default T.O.R.S. removal

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: MasterRaptor
My neighbor had his TORS removed off his new Banshee. I am told this is the thing to do. It was replaced with some screws.It will allow the carbs to be tuned more precisely resulting in an extra 3 to 4 hp.
I would LOVE for you to explain to me how removal of the TORS devise allows for more precise tuning. The floor is yours.
Hear Ye Hear Ye. The Floor is now mine. Your attention please.

I am definately not the Banshee expert....and don't want to be, but there is this guy here in Phoenix who takes banshee's and turns them into 60 hp rockets. (thats almost double you know)

He does stuff like, mill the heads, advance the timing, install direct air filters, removes the TORS, add the pipes, makes you use a different oil at 50:1, lightens the flywheel and there may be a few other little things....But is is nothing major at all.

He says that the trick on the Banshee is proper tuning. He says removing the TORS itself adds no HP, but it allows him to tune the bike much easier which will give his banshee 3 to 4 more HP over another Banshee that is not tuned to perfection. I don't know why...he says that all of that electronic garbage gets in the way. But, I believe him since his Banshee's rock. I'd buy one and give it to this guy if it weren't 20 year old technology.

I now turn over the floor. You can go back to what you were doing.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default T.O.R.S. removal

ok so like i said before, it does not add hp, just makes jetting easier.

so the power is not in the tors, its in the jetting.

you could get the same results with the tors intact it would just take longer / harder to tune

oo i am a semi-banshee expert...lol

Quick Reply: T.O.R.S. removal