Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Breeze sqeaks when taking off

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2000, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Breeze for my kids in March. When you take off from a stand-still it makes a sqeaking sound most of the time. It didn't make the noise at first, it started a couple of weeks after we had it. Anyone have any ideas why? Should I be concerned? How do I get rid of the sqeak?

Old 09-09-2000, 03:04 AM
Range Rover

hi bobvan

it could be that the brakes are binding due to dust and water.check ,clean and lubricate the cams in the brake drums.that is if the sqeakis not in the motor

paul

Old 09-09-2000, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

We bought a Breeze for our family in late April. It is a fun machine! It goes up some steep hills, rough terrain, and through mud. It turns easily and handles well.

Our squeak started in the middle of August. It would squeak for about a second when going forward. We took it into the dealer and the technecian gave it a try and felt it was the belt. He said, if the belt had a worn spot we would have to pay for the repair. The only problem was that the tech was going on vacation for two weeks and had a week's worth of work when he came back. He said that we could use the machine because nothing further would be damaged. This is just a small dealer in a rural area of northern Michigan.

We continued to use it the rest of August and the squeaking did not increase.

My only complaint is the choke is difficult to set on the Breeze. We also have a Kodiak and the choke is so smooth and sets like a choke should - it reacts the way you expect a choke to react. Once the Breeze engine is warm and the idle is set correctly, the Breeze runs and shifts from forward to reverse smoothly. I have had to change several spark plugs on the Breeze.

Even with these small problems it continues to be a fun machine for our family.

Old 09-10-2000, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

My son's '89 Breeze does that also. I believe it's the centrifical clutch slipping on the transmission pully. The belt is always engaged on these. When the clutch spins to the engagement speed, the weights move the friction shoes out to contact the drum. The shoes slipping on the drum during pull out causes the noise. It doesn't do it in reverse right? Reverse is geared so low it doesn't put enough strain on the clutch to make it slip. I wouldn't worry about it. I doubt anything has been changed on ours and it is 11 years old. It's needing a third set of tires and it's on the second set of grips, so there are lots of miles on it. The clutch needs to slip or it would be doing wheelies everytime on take-off. It still engages kinda suddenly, even though it's slipping.
That's MY theory.

Old 09-10-2000, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Rammer,

Thanks for the response. You are right it has never made the squeak in reverse. I have noticed the squeak is not as loud or as long when the Breeze has been driven awhile. Your explanation does sound plausible. Thanks again

Sunrise