Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

stage 2 cam update

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stage 2 cam update

I got the new cam chain, and pat has the head to check the valves now. I'm still looking for a stage one to replace the stage 2.

Old 12-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warwgn
I got the new cam chain, and pat has the head to check the valves now. I'm still looking for a stage one to replace the stage 2.
You are gonna hate the stage 1. The top end change is very noticable and you get in return to much bottom end. Keep us updated on Pats progress..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

that's kinda what I was hopeing for. I ride mostly in the bottom and mid for desert racing. I counting on it reving faster also, I know it wont rev as high but I dont use that as much unless I'm hill climbing. Anyway, still not completely sure what happened and if Pat finds that the valves are straight then I will be somewhat stumped!! I guess the rockers just could have been bad and broke causing all the problem, not sure!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you can, check the length of your new chain to your old chain, and let me know if the old chain is any longer - because if your chain stretched, that could have caused it to jump time and that could have caused your problem.........I'm curious to see if the old chain is any longer.......

We are selling the Raptor after all of our issues with it - have a new YFZ in the garage now next to mine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .......we got tired of dealing with the mess!!!!

Old 12-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I know the feeling, I will probally pull the old chain off this weekend, I am curious as to the culprit myself!!! I will post what I find or dont find as the case may be???

Old 12-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

It's desert racing and you are not in the high gears, thats odd...what deserts are these..?

Old 12-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

new mexico, most of the races are avg. speeds of only 25-32mph over a 25 mile course. It has some courses that are fast but most of it whooped out tight stuff and open arroyos(creek beds). So most of the time I'm in 3rd or 4th. Got to www.nmdrc.com and you can see the courses we ride, look under photos.

Old 12-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: warwgn
new mexico, most of the races are avg. speeds of only 25-32mph over a 25 mile course. It has some courses that are fast but most of it whooped out tight stuff and open arroyos(creek beds). So most of the time I'm in 3rd or 4th. Got to www.nmdrc.com and you can see the courses we ride, look under photos.
To much torque will still wear you out faster. You will see what I mean after the install. I find the stage 2 a lot easier to ride for a long hard ride.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I see your point, but rember I'm at 5000 feet. I think it will pull on me hard like you say but I will try to get used to, I rode a stage 1 before and I rember it did seem wheelie happy. Oh well good excuse to get a better swing arm thats extended a little. I just want to get this thing running so I can race every race next season, I only got to do 2 races due to all the trouble. I moved up a class, so I want race them all this year so when I rebuild it for expert class I will know exactly which cam and everything I want as far as motor goes.

Old 02-10-2005, 11:49 PM
Pro Rider

feb 10,

well I finally got around to getting some stuff done and here are the results so far:

the new cam chain has about a 1/4 inch less slack in it and the adjuster was riding almost all the way out, so it is safe to say the camchain streched alot. It also had some kinks and stuff too.

I had the stock lower valve spring plates on with the kibblewhite springs ( I didnt know I did of course) and I thinkthis allowed the srpings to wiggle and possible bind.

got all the new parts and am putting it together now, all seems to be going good, all I have left is the valve cover and all the adjustments. by the way I went ahead and got the desert tank in blak and it looks great. I had to make some spacers for the handle bars so it would not rub(good thing I have access to a CNC machine) I wish I had done this a long time ago, that extra inch in height made a big difference.

more to come later!!!

Quick Reply: stage 2 cam update