ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   Got my raptor today, My raptor broke down today! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/18373-got-my-raptor-today-my-raptor-broke-down-today.html)

94DGblaster 09-10-2000 12:41 PM

Sorry about your luck with your raptor.

I think giz meant about the gas useage.

I know my blaster sucked it down!

dunc_n 09-10-2000 01:27 PM

What is with all these new quads anyway? I can't believe you used that much gas!! I will keep my Warrior thanks. It sips fuel.

99Scram500 09-10-2000 01:41 PM

The gas milage will get better as the engine gets broken in. New engines always have crappy gas milage.

86atc250r 09-10-2000 01:50 PM

Actually the throttle adjustment thing didn't show up till 2000, a difference on the assembly line, I suppose... Subframe problem???? never heard of that.

I would certainly prefer a simple throttle adjustment (which should be checked on any and all bikes & affects nothing but full throttle power output) than pushing my quad & a trip back to the dealership, no matter what the brand.

If you feel the need to bash brands, at least come up with something substantial, else just don't feed the fire...

Anyway, it sounds like this dying problem is fairly common, hopefully it's something simple. Nothing worse than pushing a brand new machine (especially if your within eyeshot of others :))

WSanders 09-10-2000 03:11 PM

660ccs, ~45-55hp, and mega torque!?! You gotta expect it to use a little gas! You just can't make HP without it.

BTW, I rode my Raptor from about 2:00pm till about 2:00am with no problems yesterday (yes, I ran it out of gas.) My only complaint is the gearing. What the hell were they thinking when they choose the reverse gearing for this thing!?! I bet it would run 45mph in reverse!!! I have a 12 tooth front sprocket on order but I think I might even want an 11 if it were available.

YaMaRaPtoR 09-10-2000 04:21 PM

3hours fast riding = one tank of gas

88Warrior 09-10-2000 08:21 PM

Well how about the problem that the 400ex has with the swingarm breaking?

scramdaddy400 09-10-2000 08:49 PM

Man, that's yamahaha for ya. This is from experience I owned a '85 yamaha yfm 80 years ago, let me tell ya that it gave me nothing but problems. first of all no back up recoil only electric start, it did'nt work good when I first started the machine I had to push start it. then when the engine was warm the elec. would fire it.
Then after that the rear diffs. (because it was a shaft drive) stripped because yamaha used grease in the pumpkin the gear oil, go figure.
finally to top it off the starter motor blew. Thats when I said enough when people started to add an extra ha at the end to the brand of my machine.

Now I finally got smart and bought a real atv, POLARIS and the problems stopped.

I was riding with my buddy he's got a '00 yamaha big bear 400 I was telling him about my problems with mine and he said he's got the same damn problems.

BUY POLARIS AND RIDE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can see my polaris soon on my web site
and send me e-mail about this forum at:

WWW.ANGELFIRE.COM/BIZ6/SCRAMBLERUNLIMITED.COM

2000 POLARIS SCRAMBLER 400 2X4
1987 SUZUKI SP200

SCRAMDADDY400

WyoRider 09-10-2000 08:56 PM

Oh, come on now!!! I wasn't bashing Honda. I have a very high respect for both Yamaha and Honda products. I was simply making the point that all quads have their quirks. Having a fuel pick-up too high in the tank is a quirk. The subframe issue had something to do with the rear part around the grab bar/under seat area either bending easily or not being straight from the factory, I don't remember the details.

Predator 09-10-2000 09:04 PM

HOW FUNNY!!!

a polaris guy talking about reliability issues of a yamaha....... now what was it you said you rode again???? LOL sorry I am by no means "bashing" polaris they have came a long ways.... but IN MY OPINION they are no where near honda or yamaha YET!! you may have lucked out and got a good one..... or it sits parked in your garage all the time..... :) no offense ment I just know better