Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Got my raptor today, My raptor broke down today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't believe it when my dealer called me this afternoon and told me I could pick up my yamaha blue raptor anytime. So I went down asap and signed all the paperwork and took it home to break it in. It ran good for about the first half hour or so, then I started to notice it bog down a little ever now and then. I didn't think much of it at first until it started happening again and again. Finally it just quit. It would start but as soon as you gave it any throttle it would die out. I had to push it back to my truck (about 3 blocks) load it up and haul it back to the dealership. They worked on it for about an hour or so and couldn't figure out why it was doing this. Now its getting to be 6 pm and they were closing so they said that I could leave it there and they would get to work on it bright and early TUESDAY morning, because they are closed sunday and mondays. This SUX. I have been waiting for the damn raptor for about 20 years now and they day I get it, it breaks down and I have to wait at least three days to get it fixed.
They tried putting different gas in it and that didnt work. They also tried adjusting the air screws on the carbs and that didn't work either. I'm guessing its something in one of the carbs.
Has this happened to anyone else's raptor or is it just my bad luck?

Old 09-09-2000, 10:59 PM
Range Rover

I heard someone say earlier that that happened to their. They said the dealer drained the gas in the float bowls removed it cleaned it, check the jets found a small fragment stuck in bowl. They also check the sensors and wires that attach to the carbs. If that doesn't work check the parking brake assembly. This fixed the problem and I havn't heard from him since. Tell your dealer this right away and e-mail me your results.
bschisler@aol.com

Old 09-09-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

did you check all ur jets to see if there are any peices of dirt or anything in them? My freind had this problem with his quad and he had a large piece of sealant from the factory in his main jet clogging it. It was a brand new quad too. His would bogg right off of idle and it would help a little it the choke was on but he just cleaned all the jets and the rest of the carb and it was fine then.

Old 09-09-2000, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Oh man. That sucks!

Old 09-10-2000, 12:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you ever experience a sudden loss of power I would turn the engine off right away incase it is heat related or a fuel starvation problem.

Old 09-10-2000, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

All I have to say is.. man it must suck to be you. Everyone is talking about how fast/great their raptor is.. and yours is in the shop. .Well, I hope they fix it.. good riding,

Old 09-10-2000, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

I got mine today and after about 30 minutes the thing sputtered and died. Would you believe it sucked down all the gas from a nearly full tank in less than an hour? I flipped it onto reserve and made it back to camp. We then shined a flashlight into the tank and see that the pick-up tubes are very high in the tank. Very short range on the gas consumption. I hope they didn't tear into yours because you ran it low on gas.

Old 09-10-2000, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

I rode mine for an hour and a half and only used a half of tank of gas, but i never got it out of third gear half throttle.

Old 09-10-2000, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

That's Yamaha for ya!!

Old 09-10-2000, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

Giz400ex, he he, so funny! Kind of reminds me of the problems the 400EX had when it came out... You know, throttle stop set to 3/4 throttle and that problem with part of the subframe (probably more I can't remember)... That's Honda for ya.
Every new quad has some quirks in the first year of production.

Quick Reply: Got my raptor today, My raptor broke down today!