Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

BREAK in time for raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BREAK in time for raptor?

well said,
ride it like you stolke it and chang the oil after 20 hours. then change the oil as needed. when it strarts looking dirty and not that gold luster.

04 raptor 660 lots of mods
that's how i broke in my bike.

Old 12-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

RaptorRider05, how was the first ride?

Old 12-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Raptorboy4 life, everyone knows that anything with a motor on it, if you baby it on break in it will always be a baby compared to a bike that was broke in hard. If it can hold up to the pounding on break in, it will hold up fine and run at it's hardest. If it's going to break, then it's going to break then and that's when it's covered under the warranty. You are very right about the oil thing. Change the oil as much as you can right after break in. You will have metal all in the oil and don't want that cycling through the motor. Also, isn't that a polaris predator in your pics and not a bombardier?

Old 12-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

To break that machine in correctly, warm it up and then to quote someone from this forum, "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

That is the proper way to break it in.

Dont listen to that crap in the manual. There are tons of ideas on how to break in a machine but my father owns a shop, works on machines for a living and he says the same thing, WARM IT UP, AND RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT.

This allows for all the parts to break in corectly and everything to heat up and seal correctly.

If you ride it like a baby its not doing you or the machine any good.

Believe it

Old 12-21-2004, 02:33 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything I own I just warm it up before I ride it, (especially when it is cold out) and then ride how you always will. I would recommend changing the oil twice in the 20 hour period just to make sure know shavings are in there too long. I have always done this and never had an adnormal problem as a result.

The guys that tell you to do the quarter throttle thing listens to the dealers, they tell you to do this to help insure that the quad doesn't break during the warranty so they don't have to cover the cost.

Old 12-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

Exactly, Dont EVER listen to a sales man from where you got your machine.

Those guys dont have the slightest clue on how to break in a machine. THey just dont want to see your face back in their getting repairs on THEIR dime.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:55 PM
Pro Rider

And don't be scared when you do your first oil change, all that metal in the oil filter is normal.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 86LT250RFatty
Originally posted by: Raptorider05
I traded in my blaster for it yesterday, i havent got to ride it much cuz i have a broken right thumb, but i get my cast off tomorrow so im really pumped!!!
lol. Just happens to be the right thumb, that sucks, well at least you can ride tommarow. have fun.
lol that rele sukks, good luck wit it.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
VelociRaptor350-- you dont know what yoiur talking about.. bro.. you have to take it easy the first 20 hours.. first only go 1/4 throttle for an hour... then 1/2 throttle.. then 3/4 throttle.. then full throttle at about 5 hours into break in.. the gears have to get used to each other before you start draining the clutch on the gears.
haha, here we go again. and honestly dude can u go 20 hours going easy a a bike. Get real. I know i sure as hell CANT!

Old 12-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

I guess the Pro's that say, "Ride it like you stole it" dont know what they are talking about.

Hmmm, I think I will stick with the "Ride it like you stole it" idea since it has worked for me and I have used this process on all of my machines.

Quick Reply: BREAK in time for raptor?