Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

DS650's beating raptors!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000, 07:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All i have been seeing is that the ds650's are beating the raptors. I thought the raptors were going to stomp all over the DS's but from what i see the DS's are stomping all over the raptors.
That sucks real bad. What about this rev limiter thing, is it having anything to do with that. how could i fix that? I was really hoping the DS would get killed by the raptor but it looks like that isn't going to happen.
You guys think it could be that when most of the people were racing that it might be because the raptors weren't broke in that good or what??

Old 09-12-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I still think it is too early to tell, I can't imagine many of these machines are actually broken in yet, and If Wsander's post is correct, which it sounds solid, Yamaha might have played a little game with the throttle and topend, to stay on the nice side of the government.

Never fear, White Bros. will probably have some 'must have' CDI box, or chip to fix the Raptor's little speed problem.

On a side note, I don't care if my Raptor only goes 65 Miles an hour, it will only see that when I am getting from trail head to trail head, I don't know of any Sane individual who would run trails in the 60+ range anyway. (just my opinion)

Thank God it goes backwards!

Old 09-12-2000, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

You guys are still buying Yamahas money making propaganda, about the Raptor, you already know it is not delivering the goods.

Yamaha does love you.

Keep spending your money on them, you will wake up one day, I promise you

Smile

Old 09-12-2000, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Sprint Pusher, ignorance is bliss. Pull your head out of the sand! Jeez!

Old 09-12-2000, 10:08 PM
Trailblazer

Do the math. The DS has 60+lbs more weight and a few less HP (depending on which dyno you read). The DS would certainly be able to get more traction, but that advantage is lost in short order as the Raptor digs in and starts pulling hard. As far as all this hype goes, magazine tests are the ONLY reliable source of comparison data as they actually have some sort of test plan and measurement scheme devised. Everything else is hype and data of questionable origin. One could argue that about the magazines, but they are 10x ahead of the speculative accounts written here. Biased - maybe? 4 Wheel ATV Action was pretty honest about the Banshee/Raptor race...

I didn't order a Raptor to race modified banshees or beat up on 400EXs - nor do I believe it will in all arenas. I bought it because it is the best High Performance Quad (well, maybe GT is better-but then what is a DS?) available and it comes from a committed (to HP) and quality manufacturer.

In my opinion, most of the guys who are posting about "mine is faster than yours" can simply substitue "bigger" for "faster" and we get a real understanding for the debate and any personal issues that the authors may have.

Old 09-12-2000, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

I don't think the DS's are stomping all over the raptors. I just know when my buddies raced each other (several times). they were neck and neck then the ds started to pull away (couple quad lenghts). That's not to say all races will end this way. Just trying to tell the facts.

Old 09-12-2000, 11:36 PM
Range Rover

I love all these people coming out and making these wilds claims about the Raptor.

First of all, hardly *anyone* has one and for one to say that "All i have been seeing is that the ds650's are beating the raptors." sounds like a falsehood to stir the pot here in the Yamaha forum.

Whwere is this magical place where DS650s and Raptors are all over the place racing each other?? Where are the pics, video evidence?

Hey wait, I just created the place in my mind... yea thats it, oh man Raptors and DS650s are racing right now! Oh, the DS650 got the holeshot, but wait! The Raptor's power is kicking in! Raptor wins!

See how easy it is to stir the pot... Everyone should take a step back from their keyboard and do some logical thinking before they respond to hype ontop of hype.

Blake
Riding ATVs for 18 Years

Old 09-13-2000, 03:11 AM
Pro Rider

Most of the DS quads out there are probably not stock, whats the big deal if one wins over the other. The rider will make the biggest difference anyway.

Old 09-13-2000, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

And the only races being reported are from Duners.

Id hope the DS will win in the sand...its made for it. Personally, Ill never see sand to race on where I live...so it dont matter. The mags will do a shoot out, and we will see who out drags who, stock for stock....event though that doesnt really matter either, because they are 2 different machines. The DS has its advantages, but its big and heavy.(traction in the sand) The Raptor has its advangtages also, but they are much more widely dispersed, throughout many many aspects of riding. Even if they tie in top speed...thats only 1 aspect out of 20. Who wins the others?

Old 09-13-2000, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

Most of the DS 650s ARE STOCK we really haven't had the aftermarket smiling down on us like a 400ex, or Banshee. All you can really get right now is a few choices on pipes or a Ron Wood problem kit.

87suzuki230 "you always remember your first"
94 Warrior
99 Grizzly
00 DS650 (well pieces of one anyway)
01 DS650 the replacement