Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

i got my raptor 660... but i have 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got my raptor 660... but i have 1 question

ive ridden my raptor a few times already in warmer weather, once at my friends house and when i was test riding at the guy's place. Anyway im having some trouble starting my quad in this colder weather. Generally, Do raptors not start well in the cold weather and are there any tips on starting. Sometimes i get it to idle and then after about a minute of pulsing it with a little it it dies. Also, here a a really noobish question but i cant figure out HTF to use the parking brake.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

in colder weather you have to use the choke if your not already. The colder,denser air requires more fuel, its get more apparent when you start modifying and jetting, if the bike is already modified, you may have to up your mainjets. The parking brake i have no clue on, but i know you have to adjust it, check that, they tend to wear out quickly.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

It is probably jetted rich and the colder weather puts it over the top. Put a piece of tape on the snorkel or ssomewhere on the airbox, depending on how you have it set up to block off a little air to the carbs. It will go back to normal in warmer weather.

For the parking brake, push the button in and pull in the clutch about half way till you hear it click, then let the clutch go. To take it off, just pull the clutch in until the button pops back up. It probably doesn't work though, they only last a few rides.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Range Rover

i tried wat u said and i didn't hear a click or anything so its proboly shot. wats that little metal thing above the button the says parking on it, r u sure u dont do anything with that? Just to let u know my raptor has a jet kit in it from the previous owner. I'm thinking that it could also be that i flooded the engine from trying to start so much. I have been using the choke and sometimes all i hear is just a click from other the seat where the battery is. wat could be the other factors and am i exaggerating to much or are most quads hard to start in weather around 32 degrees.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider

the click could be a dead battery, or something else. my friends old honda clicked when it had a dead battery, but i've had my foreman click w/ a fresh charge. check your plug and i'd say probably replace it. other then that i think it might be your jetting.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

No the click would be the e-brake engaging. Has nothing to do with the battery.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

i was looking at some other forums when i saw this

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: ZimRaptor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: RAJ
Predator.....unless you want starter problems and the carbs poping out of the boots, then get the Craptor! I was not going to say it.....but when you call Polaris poopalaris...can't help my self.

okay the starter...wow if u can afford a raptor and not a $90 part then somethings wrong....and u obviously dont know how to jet or your buddys with raptors ride them upside down

It's jetted right! We have done many of plug checks. It's junk! I guess when you spend a 1000.00 more on the Raptor then the Predator money is tight.

Dfitz....ya you and 14mins both crack me up too!!.....NOT! But hang on looking at that crack in your pictures....now thats funny!

what is this starter problem this person is talking about, and then theres the talk about jetting? which i have a jet kit soo.... clarify this for me thanks

Old 01-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bk8800
i tried wat u said and i didn't hear a click or anything so its proboly shot. wats that little metal thing above the button the says parking on it, r u sure u dont do anything with that? Just to let u know my raptor has a jet kit in it from the previous owner. I'm thinking that it could also be that i flooded the engine from trying to start so much. I have been using the choke and sometimes all i hear is just a click from other the seat where the battery is. wat could be the other factors and am i exaggerating to much or are most quads hard to start in weather around 32 degrees.
no! to use the parking brake: push the little silver oval looking peice by the clutch, then pull the clutch in whyll still holdin it down, then when the clutch is pulled all the way in, pull the parking brake lever down, and it will snap in place, then let go of the clutch. It sounds more confusing then it really is, and once you do it once you'll see what im talkin about. And its about 20 degrees here, and i start my bike on full choke, then let it idle with choke for like 1 min or 2 then i ride with 1/2 choke a little till its hot.

Old 01-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Range Rover

Ok, for the E-Brake, you push the button down that is on the clutch perch. While holding the button down, pull in the clutch all the way. Now hold it, and that little piece of metal that says "parking" on it, pull that towards you so it grabs the little post thing that is sticking up. Now, let go of the clutch and the brake should be engaged. Of course, like others have said, it only last until the bike leaves the dealer's parking lot. Just go out and buy a block off plate and get rid of all that garbage. If you do decide you want to remove the parking brake and all the cables, there is a sensor you have to deal with, but it is way easy. Take the hood/grill off the front of the Raptor. Follow the wires that run down from the parking brake. You will find a triangular plug, unplug it. Then find someway to cover the end. I just used electrical tape and sealed up the end so water and dirt and crap couldn't get in there. Some guys just cut off the end and called it good. It is up to you.

As for the hard start, it could be a number of things. You say the jetting is good, so I will assume it is. When was the last time you replaced the plug? It may look fine, but sometimes a new plug can do wonders. You are using the choke right? Maybe it has something to do with the click under the seat you hear. Make sure your battery is good, a dead battery sometimes clicks like you said. Also, make sure your terminals are nice and snug. I had a loose power wire once, and when I went to hit the start button, it just clicked and did nothing. A quick turn of the wrench and all was good. Other ideas are maybe bad gas, plugged jet, dirty carb., floats are off, plunger has junk in it. Just try different things and eliminate them one at a time. Every once in a while, I take my carbs off and remove the bowls and spray carb cleaner in ther to remove and particles or anything that shouldn't be in there. Don't be afraid to work on your bike, it may be scary to think about at first, but once you get in there and take your time seeing how everything works, it's not too bad. Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

-Brandon

Old 01-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer

the heck with the e brake. pull it off and put on a blockoff plate.

Quick Reply: i got my raptor 660... but i have 1 question