Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Gasket question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasket question...

I had to take my starter cover off,the one with the two cogs underneath it,you know the one.I ruined the gasket(black stuff)a bit.Heres the question: Could I make it to the dealer and back without anything bad happening? Or should I wait until I get my car back from my brother and get it then?
To make things clearer Ive inclueded a pic from Raptortranny.com to show you what part Im refering to... PicLink

Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

Im sure you COULD make it, but why take the risk of possible damage to your quad's engine. If I were you I would play it safe and take your quad on a trailer or in your truck to the dealer. Or you could just take the gasket and order the part and put it in yourself....

Old 01-08-2005, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah thats what I mean,I need one to put in myself but I gotta get one from the dealer,and I dont have my car at the moment so my only way to get there is to go by quad...
I guess Ill have to wait [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] now I cant ride untill I get my car back,damn!

Old 01-08-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

I would rather walk to the dealer then taking the risk of hurting the quad.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

The dealer is two towns away...I aint walking nowhere,LOL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I gotta say,thats ruined my day(and the rest of the week)! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] That sucks.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

IT WILL NOT HURT anything all the gasket could be for is to keep watter out so as long as you dont plan on crossing a creek on the way to the dealer i think you will be just fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Most auto parts stores have rolls of gasket paper. You could easily make your own gasket with some of it.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

I was going to mention that but forgot^^ if you did that you wouldnt have to wait for them to order it just buy the paper like raptorraz said rub you a little grease on the lip were the old gasket was press the paper against it to get the imprint on your gasket material and get you a good razor and cut her out with the price of the gasket you can buy a packet of gasket material and make 30 of the gaskets. The material is great stuff ive made many gaskets out of it with no issues.

Old 01-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well thanks guys...if I have to wait for the piece from the dealer Ill try to get some gasket paper and try that.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

Hey my brother came back today and I got my car back,I got the gasket...Ive never removed the gasket before,its never broken before.So what now,remove the rest of the old gasket,slap the new one on,put the cover on and take it for a run to heat the rubbery thing on it so it melts? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Gasket question...