Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

Hey delta, is that like the kit some guy was selling on ebay? I remember seeing something VERY similar to your setup, the guy was claming it would lower the quad and add travel to the suspension.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default FINALLY DID IT !!!! LOWERED MY RAPTOR....CUSTOM WELDING JOB...CHECK IT OUT....WHOOOOT

Originally posted by: Rem
i hope youre not going to be jumping it with it lowered like that, because im willing to bet that your frame would hit the ground at about 6 inches of travel... and seein as the raptor has over 9... ur going to hit baaaad...
Actually for every inch my shock compresses the frame actually only goes downward a little over half than that. But you are right, I put my fat azz on the front bumper and jumped on it and low and behold when the shock bottoms the frame is on the ground. I can prevent this by doing one of two things or both if needed. I am running the smallest front tires you can get and thats holeshot 19's. If I use 21's in the front that an inch there and I can also get long travel shocks, which from eye to eye is about 3 to 4 inches longer than stock. This should pick me up some here again. So, yes, if I had to do it again I would have not gone so far up. But this will work even if I graze the ground a little.

As for the YFZ shocks, I picked these up on E-bay for about 250.00 to answer the other guys question.

I used 3/16" sheet metal for the material. As you can see there are a lot of radius's and it was a b*tch to cut on a bandsaw cuz bandsaws don't turn well and I had to grind a crap load. It was also kind of hard cuz I had to grind off the headlight tabs as well as grind a little off the fan mount to get a little clearance. I still have a little welding to do, I noticed I missed a little where I was clamping it to tack it down.

The small front tires are great on the track but never put them in the sand or on the trails yet. They are really small and the reason I used these was because they helped lower the old tippy raptor.

As for the guy selling something like this on ebay, I'd liek to see it, send me a link cuz I sure wish I would have came across this two months ago; it would have saved me a bunch of time, headaches, and arthritis...LOL

Hope I answered all of your questions

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2005, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: caliraptor
Hey delta, is that like the kit some guy was selling on ebay? I remember seeing something VERY similar to your setup, the guy was claming it would lower the quad and add travel to the suspension.
How can you add travel to suspension????????

Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: deltadawg
Originally posted by: caliraptor
How can you add travel to suspension????????
You add travel in a few ways. One is the use of longer shocks that have more stroke, another is to move the spindle further from the frame mount of the a-arms (exteneded a-arms), another is using ball joints that will allow a higher amount of misalignment (the shaft or pivot that attaches to the spindle can move farther), but a combo of these that was designed right will allow the most added wheel travel and over all suspension performance.

Curious if you saw the part of my previous post and called one of the shock people? I think you will get more info and better understand what adjustments you need to do in one phone call with an expert that works with stuff like this everyday (and has a computer that will help when he punches in those dimensions I suggested to get).

There is also a thread on here already that did get into this a little from the shock set up end of it, but does at some points discuss how to measure travel, whats wrong or how to fix the frame digging holes in the ground plus a whole lot more.

Hope those ideas help you get it working right.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am not sure what you were trying to do but well alittle easier way whould have been to buy new springs or to take to a shop and have them set you up with a set, to lower the quad more and give ya more ground clearance in one set up. Bigger tires will help for stance, but not once your on the raptor with your weight and the factor of not letting your suspension move through its whole stroke. So in a cense long travel shocks are more than just shocks by its self good luck

Old 01-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rawpower
I am not sure what you were trying to do but well alittle easier way whould have been to buy new springs or to take to a shop and have them set you up with a set, to lower the quad more and give ya more ground clearance in one set up. Bigger tires will help for stance, but not once your on the raptor with your weight and the factor of not letting your suspension move through its whole stroke. So in a cense long travel shocks are more than just shocks by its self good luck
I almost cured my bottoming issue, I realized my front tires had less than 2 psi, I aired them to six and I almost cant make it bottom. i may try a stiffer spring like you said. Thanks for the concern.