Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

400EX problems (yeah I know in the yami section)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX problems (yeah I know in the yami section)

Here is the deal - riding tonight in the woods with my friend (upstate NY 11*F out) and his quad just bogs down 15mins into the ride. He just had his top end rebuilt and his battery is f00k3d but holds a charge long enough to start the quad a couple times. When it stalled and we kept cranking it you smell a rich odor of fuel coming out the exhaust (my guess is that she is running to rich). So we get her to the road hook a jump pack up and crank it a little and she starts runs for about 25 seconds and stalls once more (gas odor still lingering this time too when cranked).

So here are the conditions:

1. Freshly rebuilt motor - breaking it in.
2. He didn’t jet anything but prior to the motor needing a rebuild (almost right before) he put a larger main jet in
3. His battery is weak since it has been sitting so long but holds enough to crank the quad for a good 20 seconds on its own.
4. Riding along (15mins into it) and the quad just bogs.

Now my assumption is that she is running way to rich and with a combined weak spark she is flooded and being a dirty **** to start. Since we just got back and don’t feel like doing anything with it tonight we have not looked at anything but everyone please throw any ideas out there for us to look at tomorrow when we decide to work on her.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

yeah its probably super rich and it fouls the plug out after 15 minutes, try throwing a fresh plug in, or the rings didn't seat and its burning oil, thats always fun.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

try leavin the jumper box hooked up or put a different battery in it. cause if the batter dies the bike might not generate enough power to run it. its probly needs to be leaned out.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like it is rich. Pull plug and see what it looks like and stick a new plug in and try it. What was the reason for putting a larger jet in?

Old 01-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

new update - he just told me that it was bogging yesterday but he had REGULAR gas in > and today he was running super!! So i think its def a jetting problem and the 93 octane was just the last straw.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

**** do you guys think?

Old 01-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

its too rich, and higher octane is harder to burn, and it has a weak spark to begin with so that all adds up to crap, new batery, new plug, and rejet, and he'll be alright.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

Ya I figured as much - just throwing it out there before we start ***** footing around with it tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

do your friend a favor and burn it, lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just get a real battery in there with some 87 octane and go from there

Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well how we got it out of the woods was even better... Here we are 2 miles back (not as bad as it could have been) and this thing bogs and wont start - so I ride ahead looking for anything to use as a tow line (pushing sucks). I stumble across this washing machine in the brush that someone had left there (mmm I love NY) and spotted a pretty thick power cord on it. I tied it to the back of the quad and gunned it; the cord then came ripping out as planned. So I ride back to my friend (who is standing there punching his seat yelling various obscenities at his red beast) and present the power cord. We then tie the quads together and proceed to slowly tow it back to the road with my quad. This was the only time I didn’t have my normal tow line on me too -_- - lesson learned always bring it.

Quick Reply: 400EX problems (yeah I know in the yami section)