Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine Trouble

I have a 1998 Wolverine and have had trouble for a while. I hope someone can help. I have taken the 4-wheeler to 3 different mechanics and no one seems to be able to help it. Here's the deal: after you ride it for 10 mins. or more it has a substanial loss of power. It does not cut off, back-fire or anything like that, it just does not have the throttle response that it had when you first ride it. I can describe it best by comparing it to a two-stroke motor and the power band is not coming in. The first mechanic adjusted the valves. The second and third mechanic cleaned airfilter and ajusted the carb. It still is not right. Oh yeah, it seems a little more cold natured than I think it should be when first cranking too. Help!

Old 01-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These bikes seem to have a particular problem with crap in the bowl of the carb. When the bike has not been used , the debris sinks to the bottom, the bike runs normally. When you run the bike for a bit, the foreign matter gets sucked into the jets, causing an obstruction to the fuel flow.

Removing the float bowl, cleaning it and the jets out, and perhaps a fuel filter between the tank and carb might be a good starting point.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

wide varity of things could cause this..... try simple things first- pull fuel line off at carb and put it in a container, turn gas on and see if it flows good at first then slows, if so could be dirty screeen of gas valve out of tank, did the mech. remove and clean carb? i have had trash at needle&seat to slow fuel flow. next what about baffle in exhaust pipe? has it been pulled to see if it is clean or dirty? are any modds done to machine? what about the diafram of the vacume slide? any tears or holes? try some of these to narrow the causes

Old 01-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the fast reply. There has not been any modifications to the quad. It only has this problem after it has been run awhile. Thanks, these replies are just what I wanted. I was hoping that someone else would read my symptons and know a common problem it could be. The mechanic at my local Yamaha dealership sure didn't remedy the problem

Old 01-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Onr more thing that you have probably already tried.
Loosen the gas cap and see if it makes a difference.
I have seen the vents get partially stopped up and create the symptoms you describe.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

SOUNDS LIK U MIGHT NEED A TRADE IN ON A NEW WOLVY

Old 01-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Trade-in is not an option. This wolverine is in excellent shape, I just need to fix this problem. Please answer if you have had this problem with a wolverine and can provide some insight on a remedy.

Old 01-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Pro Rider

well hey if u took it to 3 different michanics and they dont no wut the problem is and cant fix it then deal with it uless u no wut it is. the only probly i had with my wolvt was carb work.. if u cant fix then i dont no wut to tell uy other then get a new one

Old 01-23-2005, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

I am with the others here...

There is something in your carb. Please follow my 7-point wolverine update!!!!

1. Remove carb
2. Tear carb down as far as possible
3. Use B12 and clean it out (AVOID SHOOTING THE FLOATS)
4. Blast the little openings with compressed air (watch out, it could get in your eye)
5. Re assemble the carb
6. Install the carb.
7. Go ride

Old 01-23-2005, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

I've had the same problem several times and it was junk in the carb. Get an air box mod from www.nossmachine.com and it will stop dust and dirt from entering through Yamaha's bad airbox design. You might want to check out Sweet Quads on here and see if they have the mod also. Some would disagree, but I would also get a Uni air filter. They stop dirt better than a K&N.

Quick Reply: Wolverine Trouble