Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor starter clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor starter clutch

Starter does alot of clunking when starting then on the last run the starter just free wheeled without engaging![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] The local Yamaha Stealer said it was the one-way clutch and a common problem...$700 to $800 bucks and we will fix it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My question...is there after market parts that are better and is this a job that a person with minimal mechanical aptitude can handle?

Old 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

YES -- DO NOT LET YOUR DEALER FIX YOUR QUAD!!!!!!!

Okay well first of all it sounds that your starter bearing got chopped up.. same thing happenes to all Raptors over time. If you replace this piece with the stock piece again believe me you will have the same problem after a while of starting!!!

There is a company called LA designs which is the only one ive heard of that sells a one-way starter bearing for the raptor and this piece wont break on you like the OEM piece will.

Visit WWW.RAPTORTRANNY.COM This site will give you detailed instructions for installation of this piece.. It is very easy to install it and you basically have to know a little bit about mechanics and you mainly need the tools for it to be a easy, cheap job. Personally i would let my 10 year old neighbor do this for me! (its that easy)

Old 01-25-2005, 06:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Raptorboy4life
YES -- DO NOT LET YOUR DEALER FIX YOUR QUAD!!!!!!!

Okay well first of all it sounds that your starter bearing got chopped up.. same thing happenes to all Raptors over time. If you replace this piece with the stock piece again believe me you will have the same problem after a while of starting!!!

There is a company called LA designs which is the only one ive heard of that sells a one-way starter bearing for the raptor and this piece wont break on you like the OEM piece will.

Visit WWW.RAPTORTRANNY.COM This site will give you detailed instructions for installation of this piece.. It is very easy to install it and you basically have to know a little bit about mechanics and you mainly need the tools for it to be a easy, cheap job. Personally i would let my 10 year old neighbor do this for me! (its that easy)
yeah,,,,raptortranny.com will help you out

Old 01-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info....I'll check out WWW.RAPTORTRANNY.COM.