Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster a good ATV for 13 y/o??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster a good ATV for 13 y/o??

hi im 13 y/o 5.6 and 150 pounds i want to buy a blaster but the laws in New Jersey is u cant ride an ATV over 90cc intill ur 16, but i cant fit on any 90cc ATVs and i was wodering what i should do but i dont want to get a dirtbike

Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

If u r going to be breaking the law, then do it with a better quad... a blaster is not that great. You will out grow it before your 16, so that u will have to worry about. In my opinion, forget the blaster, and pay a couple hundred $$ more and get a 00 or something Warrior 350. Its a 4 stroke, so u don't need to worry about too many engine complications. They are very reliable, easy to mod, and are pretty fast stock (67 mph). Well hope this helps.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

i have a blster and im 16 with mods its perfect for me

Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Im 14 and got a Raptor 660R. I would say go for the bigger bike, then you wont have to wory about ever outgrowing it at all.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Warrior02man
If u r going to be breaking the law, then do it with a better quad... a blaster is not that great. You will out grow it before your 16, so that u will have to worry about. In my opinion, forget the blaster, and pay a couple hundred $$ more and get a 00 or something Warrior 350. Its a 4 stroke, so u don't need to worry about too many engine complications. They are very reliable, easy to mod, and are pretty fast stock (67 mph). Well hope this helps.

i agree 100%

Old 01-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok first off I 100% disagree with your assumption on the Blaster as a quad that is not that great. The Blaster is a real fun bike for the young and old - I’m over 6' tall & 19 years old and I still love riding that thing; the blaster (at least the 2 stroke kind) will not be around much longer either so id buy it why they still are around. For you I think a Blaster would be good no matter what the law says; you will grow and it will still fit you and mod it from your age now tell your 16 and you will have a real nice bike. Two strokes do need a top end more often (not expensive at all and you can learn to do it yourself in no time) but as long as you take care of the bike the Blaster is very reliable. As far as the other comment "It's a 4 stroke so you don't need to worry about to many engine complications" I think that is also false 100%. Don't get me wrong I am a four cycle die hard but have you ever taken your motor apart dude? While a 4 cycle motor may have better durability and more longevity as far as top end rebuilds go; when something does go wrong MANY MANY more things in a 4 stroke top end are there to be addressed as a possible cause of the problem. Furthermore due to all the top end components when one thing critical does go it can get much more expensive real fast depending on the damage.

The second issue I would like to address is your statement regarding the stock Yamaha Warrior speed of "67 MPH" - no way does the warrior do 67 stock bro; the 400EX does 65 and is faster then the Warrior. A yamaha Warrior fully stock will do about 61 - 62 and a blaster isnt to far behind at around 57-58ish. Both of these bikes can be modded to high hell and I actually think since the Warrior is so much heavier then the blaster and you - a young teen with a build of 5'6 150 LBS would have a much more easy time lugging around a machine that is about 60 LBS lighter.

So to sum things up I think the Blaster would be a great choice to consider for yourself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

By the way I forgot to ask and you may not know this but in NJ can a parent/guardian/18+ adult give consent or at least be with you granting you the legal circumstance to ride? If you are that considered about being legal (if you have not already) read into it further - some states laws are as simple as a stupid ATV safety course and parental consent making it all legal for a 13 year old + to ride.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: D3athShad0w
Ok first off I 100% disagree with your assumption on the Blaster as a quad that is not that great. The Blaster is a real fun bike for the young and old - I’m over 6' tall & 19 years old and I still love riding that thing; the blaster (at least the 2 stroke kind) will not be around much longer either so id buy it why they still are around. For you I think a Blaster would be good no matter what the law says; you will grow and it will still fit you and mod it from your age now tell your 16 and you will have a real nice bike. Two strokes do need a top end more often (not expensive at all and you can learn to do it yourself in no time) but as long as you take care of the bike the Blaster is very reliable. As far as the other comment "It's a 4 stroke so you don't need to worry about to many engine complications" I think that is also false 100%. Don't get me wrong I am a four cycle die hard but have you ever taken your motor apart dude? While a 4 cycle motor may have better durability and more longevity as far as top end rebuilds go; when something does go wrong MANY MANY more things in a 4 stroke top end are there to be addressed as a possible cause of the problem. Furthermore due to all the top end components when one thing critical does go it can get much more expensive real fast depending on the damage.

The second issue I would like to address is your statement regarding the stock Yamaha Warrior speed of "67 MPH" - no way does the warrior do 67 stock bro; the 400EX does 65 and is faster then the Warrior. A yamaha Warrior fully stock will do about 61 - 62 and a blaster isnt to far behind at around 57-58ish. Both of these bikes can be modded to high hell and I actually think since the Warrior is so much heavier then the blaster and you - a young teen with a build of 5'6 150 LBS would have a much more easy time lugging around a machine that is about 60 LBS lighter.

So to sum things up I think the Blaster would be a great choice to consider for yourself! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
EXACTLY!!! the warrior is great and everything but stock for stock the blaster will give it a run for its money in a drag. i kinda picture the warrior as a more for trail riding and bigger riders. not that the warrior is a moseying trail machine but its heavier and has reverse. i can guarantee that a stock warrior doesnt go 67 stock. closer to 60 i believe... the blaster does about 55-57. i love my blaster. its a quad that doesnt get old fast and is pretty easy to maintain. it does have a little pep [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. either one would be a great choice. you might consider the warrior too if you think you are going to grow its a nice place to start. im 5'7" and have no problem riding the blaster but it is small (that can be an advantage cuz you can really throw it around). not to mention its cheap!

are you sure its a LAW and not just a recomendation. i would check into it. all atvs over 90cc's are RECOMENDED for ages 16+. however i dont know about jersey laws. well good luck.... and dont think i have anything against the warrior. its a great quad as well.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: D3athShad0w

i agree 100% with what you said, you can build blaster's to your liking and can change the suspension, a arms, axle, whatever to make it have a little bigger feel, Blaster's are awesome quads and a perfectly built 240 blaster such as Shav0's will run with alot of the bigger 4 strokes, a modded blaster is very quick considering taking a little 200 motor and just adding 40 more cc's to it, plus if you get the Longrod it will be even much quicker, personally i love Blaster's even though i don't own one i ride with my buddy all the time who has one and i rode his, those things will get up and move, and not to mention his Blaster has just a few bolt on mods and he beats my buddy's 04 Warrior with a cobra on it(i know cobras don't make a difference but he still beat him) and the warrior also has bigger tires for more top end speed compared to my buddy with the Blaster only having little 18's. Now also a warrior doing 67 stock......yeah right, more like 60-62 cause they won't beat 400ex's. I would get the Blaster, they are lightweight, quick, powerful little machines that when modded will give alot of built 400cc quad a run for their money

Also i took that ATV safety course a couple weeks ago so i have it, if you ask me it is stupid especially when i was the only one their who had riding skills, but he made me go slow and i hated it, i'm used to racing so i like to go fast, not to mention i had to ride a Beartracker......oooooo they are so slow, but it kept me from having to break out a quad of mine just to take a dumb course

Old 01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

IMO if someone under the age of 16 wants to ride a quad they can ride the quad. As long as the parents know the risks, and the person riding the quad acts responsible it is fine. Make sure to wear a helmet and the propper gear at all times.

Blaster is a really good quad, and is probably perfect for you right now and another few years down the road.

Quick Reply: blaster a good ATV for 13 y/o??