Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Bent Axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guy's, I have posted a lot of good things about the Raptor but..the Axle and wheels suck. Saturday I was at the local MX track, very nice and groomed. I was jumping some pretty large table tops, doubles and steep up's and begin to notice a severe wobbling sensation. Guess what, bent axle and wheel. I did not case any jumps and have not hit anything. Of course this put's me in a big dilemma. What do I do. Of course I will check with the dealer, I also purchased the extended warranty on the advise of the dealer. He stated this being a first year bike it would be a good idea. Boy I can't wait to use that one on him. I guess Yamaha's test riders are either a bunch of wimps or Ethiopians. I'm sure Dura-blue does not have an axle for the Raptors yet. One other thing...now that I have had my Raptor 8 whole day's...what kind of tires and wheels should I put on this aluminum can?.

Old 09-18-2000, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

I picked up my Raptor Saturday, unloaded in the yard and 2 minutes later after a hump in the yard and about 4 feet of air, my left rear wheel and axle are bent. I t seems as though several riders have done this very easily and quickly, everyone please post their dealers responses to this problem.

Old 09-18-2000, 11:46 AM
Pro Rider

After hearing these stories of the A-arms and axles I am not going to take "NO" for an answer when asking my dealer if they are going to replace my axle. I would rather have them give me the value of a replacement axle and then get me a dura-blue or titanium after market axle.

Old 09-18-2000, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I called Dura Blue and talked to Brent who told me that they have axles for the Raptor. Actually he is saying it's the same one as the Banshee. Looks like an X-33 for me....(ouch $$$$)

Old 09-18-2000, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

How could it be the same one as used on the Banshee? The locking nuts are on the opposite side.

Old 09-19-2000, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Be careful with Durablue. As hard as it may be to believe, I have personally seen, and heard about many that will not stand up to the abuse that a stock 400EX axle will.

Their "Lifetime" warranty only covers one bending or breakage.... After that it's half price.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

That's what Dura Blue is telling me. I am old enough to know not to believe anything I hear and half of what I see. That's also why I am in this forum, to reconcile all the different info I get. Talk to me.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Is there a better alternative? Lone Star? Titanium?

Old 09-19-2000, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

I've personally saw a Durablue snap like a pencil on what was a pretty smooth landing, although it was a considerable sized jump.

I've heard that Lonestar is much better, but can't verify that other than I've never saw one break.

Old 09-19-2000, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Lonestar, RPM, etc... I haven't heard any negative feedback on them, but don't have any personal experience with them either.

I am fairly certain that their lifetime warranties are real lifetime warranties though...

I also haven't heard any feedback on the titanium axle either, although it is very cool looking....

Do some checking around.

Quick Reply: Raptor Bent Axle