Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor cam

I have a 04 Raptor 660 with LTE pipes, uni filter with air box lid removed, 14 tooth sprocket, and 190/185 jets. I was woundering about a stage 1 hot cam. What are the pros on this? The mechanic at the local Yamaha shop told me it would be a waste of money. He said it wouldnt help me out at all. Thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

your jetting seems way high?? i think the stage one is an amazing improvement over stock. tons more midrange and its just very useable power gains. hes dumb if he says it does nothing. the stage 2 is more aggressive and i hear helps alot on the top of the RPM band, but you need stiffer springs with that. hope this helps-----Rider1169

Old 02-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

Depends on the type of riding you do...I have the stage 2 but I am a 686 with a 10.5 to 1 piston... I ride hard fast desert trails and dragrace alot at the dunes and the local drag tracks. I also put around with my kids on the weekends...The stage 2 definatly loves the higher rpm range but performs well all around in my opinion....Rider1169 was coorect in saying you would need a set of Kibblewhite H.D. valve springs.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Raptor cam

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I liked the stock cam over the stage 1 and plan on going back to stock.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

whats the reason behind that? just wondering. stock is good, but i def felt a gain of power with the stage one. its not hurting anything so im gonna stick with that.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

Originally posted by: sixsixT
I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I liked the stock cam over the stage 1 and plan on going back to stock.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
I think the reason for this is because there are a lot of people who cant use/ dont like the added low end and midrange, but would rather have the top end power. For dunes, long flat drags and open trails this the stocker has a better feel up top, but you are making more power where it counts for most trail riders and hill climbers.

I had a top end pipe and the stg1 cam so it balanced out better than some other setups might. With a higher comp piston you have more low end than most know what to do with. But if my bike were still primarily a trail and recreation machine I would have kept the stg 1 in my bike.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Default Raptor cam

Thanks. How do you get it where you tell about you 4wheeler at the bottom of your reply. Thanks

Old 02-03-2005, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

727raptor-I would have to agree that your jetting seems to be too high and i say that because i have a raptor 690 with the LTE exhaust and i get my best results with 175-180 mains(mikuni).I dont know about your cam question but i would bet that you would see better performance with the 175-180 mikunis or maybe 180-185.My jetting is for sea level so i know that you shouldnt require more than what i use regardless of your elevation.I am mentioning this because i have tried the 185-190 mains and they do well after you get the rpm level up but even after trying different clip positions on the needle jet i couldnt get rid of the low end hesitation but with the 175-180 mains i get very good results from top to bottom.This is of course just my opinion but i spend a lot of time riding at the dunes and i tweak things until i get the best results and the 175-180 mikunis seem perfect for the LTE.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

I've got a Stage 2 hot cam for sale....$100 shipped to your door. You would need to get the kibblewhite valve spring kit.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Raptor cam

I'll try to descibe the diffrence I felt between the two.
My mods with stock cam:
Dual K&N intake
modded stock carbs
matched intake boots to head
Yoshi pipe
At the dunes with paddles where traction isn't the issue. On level ground, in 3rd gear, sitting in the middle of the seat I could pull the front end up at will with only throttle, NO clutching, pulling on the bars or getting back on the seat and the engine revved out very good.

Same as above with stage 1:
I can no longer pull the front end up at will in third. I need to be on a slight incline or slip the clutch and get back on the seat a little. It might have a bit more power up top and rev a little more but not enough to make up for what the stock cam gave me on the low end and mid range.

I also went up a couple of sizes with the jets when I added the cam but ended up going back down to the same size jets that I had with the stock cam 165/170 mains 25 pilots 3rd clip on the needle.

Quick Reply: Raptor cam