Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

My banshee needs fine tuning.... some help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My banshee needs fine tuning.... some help?

well after i added some mods to my '04 banshee(FMF SST pipes, powercore 2 silencers, boysen reeds, boost bottle, reed spacers and jets) we got it runnin or ridable.

it will not crank right off by kickstarting so we have to pull start it to get it cranked. if it cuts off i can soemtimes kick-start it but i may end uip having to pull start it again.
when i ride it, it seems like it has full power, because it has alot more than stock. It sill pops every now and then and tends to idle to high when im not giving it any throttle.
i was wondering if someone knew what adjustments i should make to fix this problem. ive been told the carberator* adjustments it what i should mess with. if so which ones and how much or to what settings should i try?

any replies will be appreciated.
thank you.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Try aroud 280 mains. As for the needle and pilot????

Old 02-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Assuming that you jetted it correctly, & tried new spark plugs, sounds like you could have an air leak. When you added the boost bottle & reed spacers it's possible that you forgot to tighten something or re-used the reed gaskets ( hope not ) The hard starting & erratic idle sound like air leak gremlins. When you get it running, keep it running, let it get warmed up & then take some carburator cleaner or WD-40 and gently & specificly spray on the boost bottle connections, & around the reed cages & spacers and see if the rpm's increase. If they do it's definately an air leak. If they don't, then its in your jetting.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

I'm experiencing the same exact problem with my Banshee with the new SST pipes. I put 280 mains in and left the stock pilot's (25) 1.5 turns out and left the needle in the third position. I think I'm going to try and put some 27.5 pilots in mine to see if that helps. It takes like 30 kicks to get it started with the choke out, but after it's warm it runs and idles fine, which is strange because I was always under the impression that if you needed bigger pilots it wouldn't idle. Hope this helps out and let me know if you fix the problem!

Old 02-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

well, the needle and pilot are both in the stock position. we tried moving them to a different setting but it never helped. ill have to try the carb cleaner on the connections to check for an air leak.
I went to a local shop and talked with someone and the said that if i put in new reeds that thats the same as jetting so the told me to go back to my stock jetting i didnt do what they said becuase a freind helped me get it running the other day so it still has the jets that came with FMF SST pipes in the carb.
should i change back to the stock jets?

if not then ill check for leaks and if there are no leaks then ill go to 280 main jets?

thanks for all the help!

Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

Whatever you do don't put in stock jets on a piped engine, ESPECIALLY a 2-stroke. Thats a one way ticket to a seizure, ( the engine.... not you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I don't know what kind of shop that is that told you to do that, I wouldn't let them walk my damn dog, let alone work on an engine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

if u wanna check ur jettin then do a plug check, its the only way to know. once u get it goin run it around at different throttle positions. 0-1/4, 1/2-3/4 and full. when u go to do it ride around a little in a throttle pos through 2-4 gears and hit the kill switch while goin. take the plug out and if its black its rich, if brown then its good, if white then its lean. this wont work good if u have an air leak though