Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor carburetor rejetting, and effects

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2000, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By looking at the carbs on the Raptor, and the lack of room to work on them, it appears to be quite a task to rejet. Has anyone done this, and how difficult is it? Please tell us the routine. Did the bike benefit from richer jetting? What sizes of jets did you use? Also...has anyone been able to get a factory service manual? Tell me who has them!!

Old 09-20-2000, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

The manual may be hard to come by for the first year. I would try to sweet talk your dealer into purchasing one. If they won't do it, buy one of the mechanics lunch and maybe he will let you photocopy the parts you really need. Heck, take it to one of the copier stores and they can make the whole thing for you.
I think the non-factory manuals (like chiltons) won't come out for a year or two. I could be wrong, but I think there is a copywright infringement or something like that which keeps the new machine owners without a manual for the first year or so. When I bought my 96 KX500, I had to get a manual for a 94. Same kind of thing when I got my 98 Banshee.

Old 09-20-2000, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

My dealer said yamaha only wants all adjustments to take place on the left carb and you are not suppose to touch the right one. If I were you I'd let true mechanics mess with these high tech carbs. Let us knoew your results.

Old 09-20-2000, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

I would never let the dealer touch my bike! I trust myself much more than them.

Old 09-20-2000, 09:58 PM
Range Rover

High tech carbs? Was that suppose to be funny? They are BSR's...

Don't worry, I'm sure there will be aftermarket carbs for it.

As for the jetting, one carb is suppose to be jetted richer than the other. (one size larger I believe) I don't know which one. I would think you would want to jet both carbs, not one. Otherwise it looks to me like you would have a real rich fuel/air mixture coming in and a real lean fuel/air mixture. That sounds like a good way to cause internal damage to me.

Does anyone know if the richer jetted carb is on the 2 valves or the 1?

Old 09-20-2000, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

WRONG!!!one carb runs 2 valves the other runs 1. the one running 2 should always be 2 jet sizes larger than the carb running one. Read your mags chief

Old 09-21-2000, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer
Old 09-21-2000, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

wsanders,

Not to be doubting you, but are you sure? I would have thought that the carb with the lowest velocity would have been jetted richer so that the air/fuel would come out mixed the same. Just guessing though.

Old 09-21-2000, 11:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

From what I have read...the richer carb does control 2 out of 3 intake valves. I have'nt taken the time to check the carbs and how the butterflies open in relation to the amount of throttle applied (very tight fit and it looked like a big job + I did'nt want to get caught tinkering with it just yet!). So does both carbs open at the same time, or does the other carb operate on engine vacuum (sorta like a vacuum secondary auto carb)? Thanks!

Old 09-21-2000, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

I'm not sure about the vacuum... but I do notice a very small lag when you punch it to full throttle... sorta like a QuadraJet on a car.

Quick Reply: Raptor carburetor rejetting, and effects