Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bruin Sounds........

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:25 AM
JSP
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bruin Sounds........

I bought a new 2005 Bruin a few months ago and love it. But it does make somewhat annoying sounds. It has a whine that increases as the speed increases. Where could this whine be coming from? Also, usually there is a "jingle bells" sound that accompanies this whine. Neither sound affects the performance, but I would like to eliminate them. Nothing is loose; and the sounds seem to come from the front of the machine, not the cvt or engine, and does not seem to be associated with the fan. Any ideas?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

The whine on my 2004 Bruin comes from the CVT, which I assume is normal. I don't have any 'jingle bell noise' however. If it is still under warranty, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

Thanks Northern.It is under warranty, and they did check it, but of course they don't hear anything, so I assume it is normal. You are most likely right........ the cvt. It's hard to tell where a sound is coming from on these things. Like I said, it's no biggie, but I wish I could do away with it. Then it would be perfect for me.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

All machines have their quirky noises. My '04 Wolverine drives me nuts with the valve train noises. I get a really loud tappet sound only at certain low RPMs. I've adjusted the valves twice (both times they were really not out of spec that far) but it did not correct the problem. The noise comes and goes. I've always been real **** when it comes to noises that I feel shouldn't there but am finally learning that worrying about it ruins the fun I'm supposed to be having! Enjoy your Bruin and remember that Yamaha's are usually pretty bullet proof.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 PM
JSP
Trailblazer

I agree; and I'm going to have to adopt your attitude about the noises. They all do something strange. My Prarie is just noisy, and you can hear it coming from afar. But it is a tough, sound machine. I have an 02 Eiger that is fairly quiet and it is sturdy and fun to ride. My Rubicon is quiet and smooooth and very well put together - a real quality machine. And the few weird noises do not detract from the Bruin, I love it. In fact I like them all and would not pick a favorite. I like the mid-size machines better than the big bores; a sign of age I guess. I think all of the machines marketed since 2000 are quality machines - they have to be in order to compete, although you can get a lemon in any of them. And they all have their quirks.
Thanks for the help.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

The whining noise happens on all cvt ultramatic etc. transmissions. It is entirely normal. What happens is there is a clutch that under rpms starts to sinch in on the belt pinching it in between 2 slightly triangulated cones, making the whining noise because of the teeth on the belt. as you go faster, it pinches the belt further, gearing it up because the belt is moving out further on the cones going to the higher geraed section. My brother has the kawasaki brute force 750 (very fun, only hit 60 on our road-too short) and it does it too.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

The whining noise happens on all cvt ultramatic etc. transmissions. It is entirely normal. What happens is there is a clutch that under rpms starts to sinch in on the belt pinching it in between 2 slightly triangulated cones, making the whining noise because of the teeth on the belt. as you go faster, it pinches the belt further, gearing it up because the belt is moving out further on the cones going to the higher geraed section. My brother has the kawasaki brute force 750 (very fun, only hit 60 on our road-too short) and it does it too.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer

Not sure where it came from but I sure heard this whine last week on our first ride. A VERY LOUD high pitched sound as my wife rode about. I thought
(hoped) it was a cat in the radiator fan. Since that first ride the sound has not returned but i don't think it was a transmission whine. Anyhow its gone
and all is well. Maybe it was a cat....

Beagles

Old 03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

the above info about belt type trannys is true but not in the case of the bruin , kodiak , grizzly they use a centrifigul clutch like a go cart uses ,but much tougher . the belt on these machines is to drive the tranny in other words the belt connects the clutch to the tranny . the jingle bells noise is more than likely when you let off a little the clutch then starts to slow the machine down its called decompression braking and its a great feature on the yamaha quads except on solid ice . it will go away some as the machine breaks in awhile but more than likely you will just get used to it . one more thing the belts on these usually last forever as they are not pinched and burned like on kawasaki and polaris types which depend on a certain amount of slippage to function . the belt is almost like the belt drive system on a harley except for the decompression braking system . thats why i ride a yamaha and not the other belt burning piles of garbage . sorry to offend but i see way too many belts burned out on the trail on the other types . also go over your skidplate bolts and bumper bolts you could have a washer rattling around .

Old 03-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Do you have a winch and fairlead on your bruin. That is the only jingle that comes from mine.

Quick Reply: Bruin Sounds........