Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what are outerwears pre filters made of?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are outerwears pre filters made of?

hello,when i bought my banshee it came with dual 13inch long kn air filters.i emailed and talk to a tech at kn and they told me they were a special order filter and they dont make these filters as a production model or make an outerwear for it. gave me outerwears number and said they might be able to make a custom prefilter for me. that sounds like its gonna cost more money than i want to pay. so i was thinking of making my own.what type of material are they made of?anyone make one of these for youre quad?

thank you for your help

Old 02-24-2005, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

looks like you could use material from an umbrella. I was in class looking at my umbrella and then it hit me, the outerware feels a lot like the same fabric used for umbrellas, its water proof and will filter out some dirt as well. Its worth a try!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

Originally posted by: caliraptor
looks like you could use material from an umbrella. I was in class looking at my umbrella and then it hit me, the outerware feels a lot like the same fabric used for umbrellas, its water proof and will filter out some dirt as well. Its worth a try!
put will it let air through???

Old 02-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

I would think so, I havent tried breathing through it, but it cant hurt to try...an umbrella is probably worth $5
I broke mine today so I might make an airbox cover for our 04 LE. I jetted it too high and now it wont run with the lid on, so I will just try it out.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i mean whats the worst that could happen so wat if the motor dosent get ne air....

Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

A buddy of mine used panty hose...... It seemed to work pretty good... I did make fun of him, because of it though....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2005, 03:15 AM
Pro Rider

Nothing BAD happens if the engine cant get any air, it will just die. Its a lot worse if it gets TOO much air. thanks for your help 2phast4u [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-25-2005, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: enFORCER
A buddy of mine used panty hose...... It seemed to work pretty good... I did make fun of him, because of it though....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
yeah i read somewhere there made of nylon. so im going to get a set of nylon stockings and a garter belt for the banshee. i was planning on getting some fishnet stockings but i think it would make the banshee look easy[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] you dont think it would be going to far if i got a maids uniform for the banshee do you?

Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

y dont u just call K&N and find out a price??? it will proabally be lik $20 a regular one is 9.99

Old 02-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Call Outerwears...they may not make one anymore but they probably have something that would work, even if it's a little bigger. Pantyhose won't do much good and have Zero water protection, and I doubt an umbrella would breath well enough.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Chris

Quick Reply: what are outerwears pre filters made of?