Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a friend

My buddy has an 03 Craptor. He replaced the rear axle bearings. When it went back together there was a little gap on the left side. He rode it and log story short it wobbles now. He took the axle out but can't get the carrier out. I am hearing this over the phone and can't actually see it to tell you. So this is all I've got.
How do you get the carrier out?

Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

Any help? Is the carrier going bad common? Has anyone actually had to replace the swing arm because of bad carrier and/or bearings?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, thanks for all the help over here in the Yamaha section! Really, I could use some help or advice.
Last night we put everything back together in hopes to find what was causing the gap. We could find nothing. Took it back apart and my friend is worried we damage the new bearings when removing them to take the carrier out. I say they are already messed up from the rides he took since installation. I see them on Ebay for chump change. The axle moves if you grap the rear tires and move them back and forth. Can't be good.

Old 02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like he wasnt getting them in the carrier all the way. Bearings are cheap I wouldnt reuse ones that have been installed before.

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

my buddy (when we talked to him the other day about replacing my bearings) he said osmetimes they have t obe heated up...

Old 02-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for replying. I just got home from his house.
Okay, there are two flanges on the outside of the rear end. How do those come off? They slide back and forth with the carrier. I stopped him from beating on them with a hammer!
Do any of you know any sites or have any blow-up diagrams of the rear?
He needs to get a manual. I am hoping this forum will serve as one in the meantime.
warrior007 - is there a certain way or distance those bearings need to be put in? My DS is totally different.
He said he paid about $30 for the bearings! I told him of ebay and he thinks they will be cheapies.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

When my bearing went out I had to seperate the rear housing once the rear axle is removed. I used a hammer because of all the rust inbetween the carrier. Once you have seperated the carrier it should be easy to replace the bearings. From the sounds of it your friend has either an excessive worn out carrier or installed the bearing wrong...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

We're going to take the bearings out tomorrow. Those flange things must be held in with a cir clip or something. Or maybe the are crusted on there. Heating it up would do the trick I think.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

No I just had to beat the crap out of mine to get it seperated. Good luck....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, you do have to beat the carrier out, use a board so you don't damage anything. Heat the carrier with a propane torch to remove and replace the bearings.

Quick Reply: Help for a friend