Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor porting question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raptor porting question

i have a 01 raptor with a k&n air filter and a titanium yoshimura pipe as my only mods.will just porting to this set up do very much?i am getting hooked on hillshooting.will this be good for that

Old 02-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: blinddog
i have a 01 raptor with a k&n air filter and a titanium yoshimura pipe as my only mods.will just porting to this set up do very much?i am getting hooked on hillshooting.will this be good for that
Porting will do very little for your set-up. After you have an aggressive cam designed to move a lot of air, porting will add a little power. Even with mild aftermarket cams porting is generally not recommended.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HAVE A FRIEND THAT PORTED HIS HEAD ON HIS 01 RAPTOR AND PUT A STAGE 1 CAMSHAFT IN AND SHAVED THE HEAD .030 AND HIS BIKE WENT FROM BEATING OUR BUDDYS 02 MRAPTO BY HALF A BIKE LENGTH TO 6 BIKE LENGTHS, IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE

Old 02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: blinddog
Porting will do very little for your set-up. After you have an aggressive cam designed to move a lot of air, porting will add a little power. Even with mild aftermarket cams porting is generally not recommended.
I would respectfully disagree with Gary. Mr Nitrotmann on the forums here has a Raptor which is ported and has an 11-1 piston, and some combustion chamber work which cost a little of that compression, and stock cam. That thing REALLY runs too, WAY faster than my Raptor. It is a very carefully done porting job with attention paid to flow velocity, not just a head-hog job. Norm did it. Okay, just my $.02.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Your not going to see much power with out adding a big cam, why not add they cam? your going to fork over a few hundered for a good prot job, might as well get a cam while your allready taking the top end off? It only makes sense.

Porting for a fast turnaround and good work, Kenz Cycle or Craycraft, or get in line behind me for a RapFam Hammer and Chisel port job.

if you getting into hill shooting, LOOK into the megacyle x-4, its a excellent hill CAM.