Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Upcoming Raptor/DS Shootout...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 06:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATV 4-Wheel Action will be doing a shootout in the next issue.

Old 09-21-2000, 07:19 PM
Range Rover

Honestly speaking I think both machines are great. It was between the DS650 or the Raptor. I picked the Raptor, but it could of easily been the DS650. Who knows maybe next year I'll get the DS650 also...

01 Raptor Blk/White
Just Bring it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-21-2000, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I remember when the DS first came out, I was ready to slam my deposit on the table! The first time I saw it in person I thought geeze, this thing is a tank! I couldnt believe how big it was. I personally ride mostly in the trails and the DS is just way too big. The Raptor however fits my uses quite nicely. I personally wouldnt care if the DS was a bit better a duner or desert machine. The point is guys, these are different machines. Each has it's niche. If I were a desert rider I think I'd skip the Raptor and jump on a DS! In the woods though a wide heavy machine without reverse just aint the hot ticket. I'd rather not slam either machine. And you 400EX guys that are always saying how much better your EX is, chill. I hope Honda makes a comparable machine soon too. Heck Kawi just upped the bar with their new prairie. Hopefully they'll make a sp[ort quad too!

Old 09-23-2000, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Hey ScoobyDFW, do you ever to to the TQRA track in greenville?? there's a guy up there with a totally modded 400ex, a new Raptor, and a DS. He said that compared to his 60hp 400ex, the raptor was kinda weak. In his words "it's not all that, but it is nice" I don't know.. and hopefully, I will be able to Ride a Raptor sometime.. I think it will kick! Heck, I've only ridden 1 400ex, and never a DS.. People around here are tight wads..(i can't stand those..lol) Have you ever been up to the Wolf Pen Gap atv trails in Mena ark.? really good trails. There's a Race at Fun wheeler this weekend.. but I heard that the way they do it BLOWS. YOu do laps, they time you, and whoever has the fastest time/bike wins.. Wouldn't it be nice for someone to make a quad that is good for EVERYTHING?? Something that is Equally as good in the dunes, as it is on the MX track. That the TT racers can make it raceable, and the trail riders can appreciate. Hmm, didn't honda already make something like that?? from around 1986-89? I wanna think it was called a TRX250R or something like that.. Yeah, more power to the raptor, and i hope yamaha fixes all the probs. you guys are having.. as for me, I think i'll go tear up the track!! Cuz u know, I try to do all my **** talkin with my right thumb! Later,

Old 09-23-2000, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

What makes me wonder is why they are taking so long to compare a DS & Raptor. Its been 5 or so issues sence they have interduced it. When the DS came out, 3rd issue it was ran up against bansee 400ex & polaris. The 4th Issue they ran it againts a motified 250R & a project 600 honda, ON AN MX track.(Only a second behind 250R in lap times). This past issue they hardly said the Raptors name.. What the deal..

Old 09-24-2000, 09:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Why is it taking so long....take out your wallet and look inside...see that green stuff...the mag company's want more of that from everyone. They will milk it for all it's worth by giving everyone just a bit of info monthly and before some people know it they have a stack of mags that probably cost a hundred dollars (like me). The worse part about it is....sometimes the writing is worth less than the paper printed on.

Old 09-24-2000, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

I think the reason why the Magazines are so silent
concerning The New Raptor is due to the fact that it is now old news.

Flyin' Ryan

Old 09-25-2000, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

I dont put any stock in anything the magazines say. I think it is all about which manufacturer gives them the most advertising money. They have said things about many quads that they have had their "Exclusive" first rides on that when the machine comes out is not true. So far I think Dirtwheels and 4wheel atv action are just telling us what YAMAHA wants them to tell us.

Old 09-25-2000, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

As much as we are spending on the Magazines We should BUY stock in the Magazines.

Old 09-25-2000, 04:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

In another forum, Ryan posted:

I pray that none of the Beta Raptor testers
gets killed beforehand.
Ride careful, ride blue.

Flyin' Ryan

A good-hearted, caring, church going person?

Quick Reply: Upcoming Raptor/DS Shootout...