Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

No spark.. but still runs!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark.. but still runs!?

Start with the easy obvious items...If I were you, I'd make sure that the switch is good before moving on to other possibilities. The stator is expensive and probably doesn't have any problems. If you arn't very expeienced with checking electronics, I'd take it to someone before you jump to a hasty conclusion.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hey i feel for you the warriors are known for some electrical problems. My buddy had the same problem with his warriro he just got a click when he hit the starter but it pop started fine. Now his electric start works but when he turns the run switch and the key off it still runs until he stalls it out. Wonderful huh? and as far as I knew stators were definatly NOT covered in oil. At least on my Quadzilla i dont think it is.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:45 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

well once i pop star it, its fine... lights work and everything.. i ride it all day long an it never dies or anything.. well just yesterday when i forgot to turn the gas on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] ran for awhile with the gas off the got all the way up the road an it died.... but it fired right back up.... it confuses the hell out of me.. right now im taking it apart to check the carb jetting etc. iv gone through the whole repair manual testing everything it says to test an everything seems fine... so the jetting is my last hope

Old 03-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

What condition is your batteray in?

That would be a good place to start with your testing. Turn the key and the lights on to remove the surface charge, then use your meter to test it. Provided that testing a charged cdi did not let the smoke outta your meter.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:52 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

the battery is it good shape its not even a year old and i tried testing it on my dads quad an it worked fine... i just took the carb off an cleaned it an adjustd it some and it still wont start.. still no spark

Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

Test to see if you have voltage at the starter when you hit the start button.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

If the starter button wont turn the bike over than your problem is in that connection somewhere, it has nothing to do with the carburator. Throughly check your wiring to and from the battery, if you are unable to do it properly or are unsure if you are doing it properly, then take it in to get it done by a professional. Your beginning to over look the simple problems, which is what it probably is, expecially if it's electrical. If your bike runs, headlight work and there are no other problems besides starting than you don't have a problem anywhere else but in the electronics/starting system. Don't tear into anything else, it's a waste of time.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:46 PM
ReQ
Trailblazer

the start button turns the starter an it turns te motor over.. there is just no spark, somethings robbing fire from the plug i just dont know what

Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

did you check the fuse in the rear left side under the fender? Its a little black rubber piece that can just pull apart and there will be a fuse in there, see if thats ok. And as for the stator with oil, yes the stator should be covered with it. On 2 strokes the stator is dry, at least majority of them are, It has to be some stupid thing your overlooking. I will guess a connection as well somewhere has gone bad. Maybe you have a bad cap or something.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm...I think I know what your saying now, very interesting. I still say have someone who knows the electronics of the bike take a look at it for you. I highly doubt you will find and fix the problem without having knowledge of the system. I'm not saying don't do it yourself, more power to you if you wanna do the work on your own but it's prolly gonna be tricky...good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: No spark.. but still runs!?