Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Preventing theft

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing theft

Out on the larger trail heads in this area, there are LOTS of trucks, trailers and accessories at the staging areas. I'm jumping back into the dirt mix after a few years on pavement - and in a different state. I'm a bit leary about just leaving things in the back of the truck - gas cans included.

I lock the hitch into the receiver and the trailer onto the hitch. But what about other things left at the truck?

My main question: What's the best way to secure a loading ramp for the pickup-toted quad? Is a decent chain enough to deter the honest people? How do you guys secure your ramps?

What about your gas? How do lock that? (Although I'm more concerned about the ramp).

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 AM
Range Rover
Default Preventing theft

I gave the loading ramp lock down question much thought for my own. I bought 2.5' a peice of 50lb chain and a sturdy lock, I lock the ramps to a place that is on my pickup bed. Its like one of those things in the bed for securing stuff back there. It seems safe enough, they'd either have to have a mega chain breaker or rip the back quarter panel off my truck....hopefully that never happens, but i feel safe with that.. I hear ya though man, those ramps ain't cheap.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Preventing theft

if the ramps are metal,,,,you can park your truck on them (not aluminum)

Old 03-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Preventing theft

when i go i just put everything in the cab of my truck... tool boxes chains oil food extra parts... everything except the gas cans. i leave them under hte truck on the inside of one of the tires. parkin on the ramps is a really good idea. i never would have thought of that, but i dont use ramps.....

Old 03-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Preventing theft

I thought of parking on mine, but they are aluminum and a really ambitious thief always has a jack !

Old 03-08-2005, 10:38 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preventing theft

Lock them up best you can but remember, locks only keep honest people honest. If they want it bad enough consider it gone........

Old 03-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default Preventing theft

You can't stop a thief if he wants to steal. You can only keep honest people honest.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Preventing theft

30 odd 6

Old 03-08-2005, 06:58 PM
rc3
Pro Rider
Default Preventing theft

No way to keep a thief honest, if you are not there and he wants it bad enough, he will steal it. That is what happened with our quad. We had it locked up with a cable, cut the cable and took the quad, we ended up getting it back about a year later,. Good luck and if you find a good way let us know!

Ray

Old 03-08-2005, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Preventing theft

That is what happened with our quad. We had it locked up with a cable, cut the cable and took the quad, we ended up getting it back about a year later
rc3 was it damaged when you got it back?

Quick Reply: Preventing theft