Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster Stalled now Kicker wont do anything, did i blow the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blaster Stalled now Kicker wont do anything, did i blow the motor?

I started my 96 Blaster and it wouldnt idle on its own so i was holding the throttle a little bit then it made a loud knock and then when i went to start it back up the kicker wasnt kicking.. its just loose.. like you can push it up and down simply with your hand.. What happend? Did i blow the motor? I just bought the damn thing Sunday.. Last time i bought a blaster i blew the ENTIRE motor after only a week.. I hope it didnt happen again. Someone please help. Thanks- Keith

Old 03-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

I'm kind of confused by your description, but it sounds like you have lost compression which is usually caused by bad rings or a blown piston. Pull your spark plug out, stick your finger over the spark plug hole and kick the bike over. You should feel your finger being sucked in and blown out. If not, it probable needs a new top end. I would highly suggest you bypass the oil injection and run Pre-Mix, I've seen a couple oil injected motors seize up do to lack of lubrication because the injection system is so unreliable.

Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

I premixed my other blaster but i havent gotten to that yet.. i bought it sunday.. lol.. Before when i blew the motor the kicker wouldnt even move.. Now it goes all the way down like its not connected to anything or something.. Oh man i'd be pissed if i blew the motor already.. Thanks.. ill go check that... -keith

Old 03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Range Rover

I just checked for a spark... Absolutley NOTHING.. idk... The kicker is so loose it seems something in the kicker broke or something... I'll have my dad take a look at it when he gets home but i think it did blow.. sucks.. Do you think its the whole motor or just the top end, or is it possible that something in the kicker broke? UGH

Old 03-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

I opened the engine oil cap where you can see gears.. and when you kick u can usually see them spinning to check for oil or whatever... but they dont spin.. Is that a good sign.. showing that the kicker is the broken part? Or is it still looking like its the motor blown?

Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you are kicking it and the gears aren't moving in the clutch area, then something on the kickstarter probably broke or teeth are missing off of a gear. When you kick it over, can you hear the piston moving at all. Can you feel any resistance when you kick it over?

Old 03-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

There is a little spring on the kick start shaft. When it breaks it causes the kicker to move, but dosn't turn the gears. Pull the clutch cover off and I think you will find that spring is broken off.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

Yah we were able to Pop start it.. my bro pulled me with his KFX and it started right up so its in the kicker.. Thanks.. Keith

Old 03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I wouldnt run it at all, peices might get into areas you dont want them at all. That is odd that it was running and stopped and made a pop noise, sounds like more than a spring to me.....

Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the advice... It's nice to know that it WILL run though.. gets the thought of it being the motor off my mind. It was weird though.. because before i even went to start it again the first thing on my mind was "f-bomb" there goes another motor... then once i went to kick it it really assured me.. idk.. we'll see... ill let yall know what happens.. Thanks.. Keith

Quick Reply: Blaster Stalled now Kicker wont do anything, did i blow the motor?